Which screws for new guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ive decided to replace a leaky gutter on the gable end of my house with a pvc one(current one is aluminium)
Anyway to cut a long story short the fasia is probably in need of replacement but ive so much going on right now i cant afford the time to take it all down and replace...ill get around to it next year.
So ill just whack my new gutters ont the old fascia for the time being.

Are there any particular screws i could use which will bite this wood particularly well to hold it in place?

im thinking 5mm spax ??

Cheers,
Marty.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't matter what type of screw you use - you can't pull them out.

..well the wood is a bit soft in places u see(i pulled out the existing screws with my hand!!)...thats really my question...what screws for wodd thats a little softer than it should be!!

Sponsored Links
just make sure the brackets are a few inches away from the old and use these
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=81091&id=15713

or 10x1 1/4 if they fit

if the wood is only soft where the screws where you can try large plugs but only on areas you cannot reposition the brackets [the very end for example ]

so each end in the same place [if you have to] and new 4 inches away then all other brackets away from the old position

if the wood is fully soft then it will be likely to fail with the first heavy downpour

you could of course try and find the roof structure behind and use 3" screws incase the ends have gone soft

did you check the old screws when you pilled them out!!!!!!!
often rather than the wood rotting the screw thread rusts away !!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back