Which sparkplug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any advice on the merits of Copper Vs Platinum Vs Iridium spark plugs for cars. In terms of price, miles they can do before replacing, are they worth it, etc....

Sponsored Links
I think its best to follow the recommendations of the manufacturer, really.....some vehicles come specified with Iridium plugs which cost a fortune (maybe £12 each) whereas others use a more common type.
Generally, Iridium plugs can last for 30k miles or more - but the problem can be actually getting the things out after they have been in for so long (Focus owners please note!) so maybe a layer of Coppaslip is a good move.
Whatever happens, its vital to adhere to the plugs heat range, as a melting electrode is not advised!
Personally, I specify NGK if I have a choice.
John :)

Burnerman";p="1831573 said:
so maybe a layer of Coppaslip is a good move.

John have you ever tried pencil lead on the threads. Someone told me its a different type of carbon and it wont allow the threads to foul up when the plug is in the head. what do you think?

We tend to go for the recommended plugs as John said.

Sponsored Links
Somebody has been pulling your leg because amongst other undesirable effects, pencil lead i.e. graphite, promotes galvanic reactions.

Mursal";p="1831727 said:
so maybe a layer of Coppaslip is a good move.

John have you ever tried pencil lead on the threads. Someone told me its a different type of carbon and it wont allow the threads to foul up when the plug is in the head. what do you think?

We tend to go for the recommended plugs as John said.

I've certainly never tried that, and I haven't considered Stivino's issue either. To be honest I rarely use anything, but having had real problems removing taper seat plugs from the Focus I tend to use grease on those.
Slightly off track, I always coppaslip the sliding surfaces of brake pads and calipers.....and there's never a sign of the stuff a few months later. :confused:

I'm just a bit confused because I've been getting different advice.

I've got a 2004 Hyundai Sante Fe V6, it comes with platinum plugs fitted. The manual says replace at 60K, one main dealer says no its got to be done at 50K, another main dealer says they've OK till 100K. Did a bit of searching on Google and still none the wiser about when or what to replace them with.

Whos right?

The main dealer will be able to tell you for sure, but why not play safe and pop a set of platinum ones in?
Any plug thats been in for 100k miles won't want to budge, either!
Once they're done thats it for another goodly mileage.
A good motor factor will also tell you whats needed plug wise - just quote the registration number.

I'd go with what's written in your handbook.
If this is your car;
Make HYUNDAI
Model SANTA FE
Production Year 03/01-->02/06
Engine Size 2.7
Variant V6 DELTA
Engine Type G6BA-G
then this is your NGK plug PFR5N-11 (5838)
You'll need six so expect to pay as much as £70 but shop around for a better price or maybe get the Denso equivalent.

Stick to what the manufacturer recommends for your vehicle. There are complex reasons why some engines use iridium spark plugs, mainly due to the 'quenching' effect of the plug on the air/fuel mixture. That's why iridium plugs have pinpoint electrodes. I recommend NGK plugs (and so do Rolls Royce incidentally). Put copper grease on the threads as has already been suggested, and don't overtighten otherwise you will stress the plug.

Yep, thats my wheels Stivino. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice. I'm going to stick with the manual and go with the platinum again at 60K, only because the manual "recommends" they be replaced with like for like. Strange how the main dealers seem to think different, haven't they seen the manual!

I've been diesel since 1986 apart from a brief spell with a Clio 172 and I certainly won't go for petrol again.
Mind you, just bought a Jimny and have no choice for that one.

Sponsored Links
Back