Which tool do pro's use for stripping cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been using wire strippers to strip back the insulation of the cores but wondered how you pro's go about stripping the cable's outer insulation first?
Cheers
JD
(High winds keeping me awake, nor worrying about cables honest!)

Sponsored Links
Two methods spring to mind:

A sharp knife run down the centre of T & E, then nick off the sheath at the bottom.

Use side cutters to nibble down the side of the sheath, then snip off.

securespark said:
A sharp knife run down the centre of T & E, then nick off the sheath at the bottom.
This amateur finds a Stanley knife with the minimum amout of blade protruding ideal - length of the blade is just right.

Yeah the stanley knife technique is mine too, just wondered if anyone used one of the more proprietary tools available to do the job. The one I've seen has black self adjusting jaws and red handles.
JD

Sponsored Links
Yes, mention the earth. I've seen the argument that the wire is bent tighter than the minimum bend radius but surely the minimum bend radius is to protect the insulation? It's not as if you're bending the copper back and forth to cause a fatigue failure.

you dont actually bend the wire tightly.. if you cut between the cores with side cutters and then pull gently..

David

I've been using a stanley knife to score down the cable then nick the end before pealing back. Probably best to use cutters to nick the cable though as already suggested - I nearly managed to take the top of my thumb off yesterday with the knife as it slips easily!

A nice injury to go with my attempted finger amputation while removing tiles. Quite disgusting seeing the bone poking out of a wound...

JDLDIY said:
Yeah the stanley knife technique is mine too, just wondered if anyone used one of the more proprietary tools available to do the job. The one I've seen has black self adjusting jaws and red handles.
JD
Do they work?

I played with one in a shed once (I know :oops: ), and it was useless.

Dunno if that's because, being a shed, it was a C&N one, or if they're all pants...

Wish I could find that fabulous one I've described before......

screwfix sell an automatic wire stripper that will split the t&e neatly then the excess pulls off can then be used on the inner cores aswell its great you'll only need this and a screwdriver when terminating and its so quick!!!

clarke24 said:
when terminating and its so quick!!!

No,
images
this is a terminator

clarke24 said:
screwfix sell an automatic wire stripper that will split the t&e neatly then the excess pulls off can then be used on the inner cores aswell its great you'll only need this and a screwdriver when terminating and its so quick!!!

Oh, if only! It doesn't seem to matter what you are doing, you need no fewer than FIVE screwdrivers for every termination!

Do they work
Not sure really, a mate had one which worked well for a fairly short while but then started to be less reliable.....

clarke24, got a link for the screwfix one you've used? I see a couple of auto wire strippers on there. The one like my mates sells for just a couple of quid, which doesn't fill me with much confidence! How long have you been using it?

JD

clarke24 said:
Is it one of these:

screwfix_stripper1.jpg

screwfix_stripper2.jpg

BTW, in case anybody reading this has not seen these:

screwfix_stripper3.jpg

I can highly recommend them. Doesn't do the sheath, but for stripping cores it's superb.

ban-all-sheds said:
I can highly recommend them. Doesn't do the sheath, but for stripping cores it's superb.

I use one all the time. It's excellent on stranded cable and flex cores, but you have to be careful with the alignment on solid conductors or else it can damage the insulation left behind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back