Which tool do pro's use for stripping cable?

Sponsored Links
teeth are fine on bellwire and just about usable on flex but the insulation in T&E is too hard in my experiance

most nightmarish cable i eve stripped was 1.5mm (XPLE i think but im not sure) SWA the inner metal wires were flex like (the whole inner bit seemed initially like flex) but the insualtion was tough as hell (i think it was XPLE) making it near impossible to get the insuation off withotu destorying the wire itself

A friend of mine bought some pretty nice speaker cables, about £10 a metre if I recall. The insulation was rock hard, even a Stanley knife barely made a dent. It was also very tight on the conductor. In the end he had to cut around the circumference very carefully, then attach the unwanted insulation to an F-clamp, stand on the clamp and pull the cable away from it. :LOL:

A decent set of wire-strippers may have made it easier (although I think the cables may have been square)

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
teeth are fine on bellwire and just about usable on flex

Depends on how much orthodontic work you had done on them: no way I am going to use my lovely straight nashers as a DIY tool! :D

AdamW said:
A decent set of wire-strippers may have made it easier (although I think the cables may have been square)

Your average end-on, grip-and-pull wire stripper would actually be ideal for square section conductor if you aligned it correctly.

I run a stanley knife down the middle of twin-and-earth, leaning slightly into the earth so I don't nick or chafe the live or neutral. Then gently go round the white plastic so i don't go into the live or neutral then pull, again gently.

I love Stanley knives, they are so English. Particularly the classic model before they made them unnecessarily streamlined (I have collected four old ones). I have used one handle for forty years! Their great feature is that new blades are sharp. You can get new blades anywhere). It is always the blunt blade that can slip.
Anyone tried stripping black-sheathed 7-core (external) telephone cable then, and without nicking into the cotton-thin core?

biblio said:
I love Stanley knives, they are so English.

Nice one... From the Stanley website:

The Stanley Works, originally a bolt and door hardware manufacturing company located in New Britain, Connecticut; was founded in 1843 by Frederick T. Stanley. A few years later, in 1857, Frederick’s cousin, Henry Stanley, founded The Stanley Rule and Level Company. In 1920, The Rule and Level Company merged with The Stanley Works and would go on to become it’s famous Hand Tools Division. :D

What a bunch of wimps. I use my teeth for stripping wire.
Yours, Buck-toothed Fred,

????? Telecom cable has a nylon stripper inside.

And why should it bother you if the cotton snaps?

dingbat: interesting, I suppose it's the same with barbed-wire, or even denim jeans. Unavoidably adopted because they function but don't change.
securespark: no nylon stripper in the black 7-core Telecom cable around here, just 3 extra red re-inforcing steel-stranded cores.

biblio said:
dingbat: interesting, I suppose it's the same with barbed-wire, or even denim jeans. Unavoidably adopted because they function but don't change.
securespark: no nylon stripper in the black 7-core Telecom cable around here, just 3 extra red re-inforcing steel-stranded cores.
are you supposed to use those steel stranded cores for functional perposes and if not do some people do it anyway?

plugwash: I reckon they are for high-tensile support in rough weather, besides why are they not separately coded? Don't they need single-core for digital type signals? Someone must know...(bugging?)

Biblio

This is know as dropwire.

It is NOT 7 core, only four. The others are used as straining wires to take the tension off the functional conductors.

It is used to run from poles to a property. At either end, the cable is wound round a spiral steel wire to take the strain.

It usually terminates at the linebox, and is not used elsewhere in the installation.

If you just want to run externally to an extension, you need PJ (petroleum jelly) to BT standard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back