Which tool do pro's use for stripping cable?

Well, I was in the local wholesalers today and ended up splashing out on:
http://www.premierwiring.co.uk/UDP15.htm - scroll down to the yellow "unistripper".
It strips the outer coating from cable and flex, then the inner cores. So far I've found it very impressive indeed, you can set the length of stripped core easily with a plastic depth stop. Just slightly miffed that I was charged £16+vat, when the website above has it for£10+vat. Oh well.
JD

PS Doesn't look much different from the screw you one, are you sure that doesn't strip outer coatings?

Sponsored Links
never used anything other than my sidecutters in 15 yrs as a pro spark.I know its frowned upon,but after a very short period with a decent pair of snips they become an extension of the hand and so you get a @feel@ of how much pressure to use so as to avoid damaging conductor,in this way i can do most 2nd fix with only two tools,no lugging a big heavy toolbelt for me!! :LOL:

no lugging a big heavy toolbelt for me!!
As a pro you should no better than this. Wear a toolbelt dammit, it's your job!!

Sponsored Links
I think JLDIY was talking about its tool-carrying capacity, not simply its length.... :LOL:

Leeds spark said:
,no lugging a big heavy toolbelt for me!! :LOL:

I bought mine months ago and this weekend looks like it will be the first time I get to use it! I'm only changing an extractor fan for my parents but will probably wear my hardhat, riggers gloves and steelies too. Of course they may start asking questions if I arrive looking like one of the Village People. :LOL: Perhaps I should grow a 'tach between now and then too... :LOL:

Isn't it odd: people who wear suits on a Saturday night don't wear suits to work, and people who wear toolbelts on a Sunday morning don't wear toolbelts to work.

*of course bouncers are exempt from the suit rule.

ban-all-sheds said:
I think JLDIY was talking about its tool-carrying capacity, not simply its length.... :LOL:

Girth is, apparently, just as important... I've been told. :D

JDLDIY said:
PS Doesn't look much different from the screw you one, are you sure that doesn't strip outer coatings?
Not very well - it will do it, but it needs two bites - you have to do one side, and then turn the cable over and do it again.

Is that yellow one any better?

So far I'm very inpressed, it strips the outer sheath without damaging the inners in one go (well it moves it down the cable then you pull the tool along to remove it). Just gotta see how well it lasts........
JD

OOI - does anybody know what make this one is?

screwfix_stripper1.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back