Which tool??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have done break pipes on my car in the past and have used my mates brake flaring tool. It's a bench one a "ratcliff" make it's the real McCoy one. But he moved away and now I need to do one of my break pipes for its M.O.T for next week so am looking to buy one!

My question is do I get the bench type or the hand held type? It's the good ones am planning to buy which ever one. Ratcliff or snap on so they will last me in my life time.

I have been hearing mixed story's about which one? So any advice from as many people as possible would be great.

Many thanks Paul.

Sponsored Links
We have a bench one, which tends to slip on steel pipe, so we only use copper in it. One of the lads has a hand held he got for £50 does a good job and you can flair on the car, which can be handy. No sure of the name, probably some Chinese guy.

The bench type will always be easier to use (I have a Sykes Pickavant flaring set) and it gets excellent results time after time.
However if I have to use a jointer, rather than renewing the entire pipe, its a bit bulky for hand use so I have a cheapo tool for that.
I think you'll find almost all of the tool manufacturers will have their own designs and at the end of the day, its how much you want to pay that settles the deal.
For just the occasional pipe, its as easy to get them made up by a motor factor anyway.
John :)

Sponsored Links
The Flaremaster by Sykes Pickavant is a great tool! Good for flaring pipes in situ!

Back