Which transformer for Ring Video Doorbell Wired (UK)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve bought a Ring Video Doorbell Wired, the transformer for my current doorbell is only 6VA, 6V, 50HZ. The Ring doorbell requires 8-24VAC.

I’ve bought a Ring Chime for the audio - I’ll use this and the Amazon Echo devices I have around the house, I am happy to not use the current bell.

Will I just need to replace my transformer? Is it just a case of turning off the power to it, taking out the current one and fitting a new one?

Here is a picture of my doorbell. I’ve marked in green what I think is the transformer and in red what I think is the bell…

Doorbell-box-marked.jpg

Any recommendation as to which transformer I should get? Is this one okay? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Navaris-Door-Bell-Transformer-12V/dp/B07J2NWYC4/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=transformer+ring&qid=1624144124&sr=8-5 1

Sponsored Links
Also consider that door bell transformers are only supplying power while the door bell is being pressed. ( the voltage is there but no current flows until the button is pressed ). Some door bell transformers are not rated for continuous supply of power and will begin to over heat if called on to supply power for more than a few seconds per minute.

The ring video door bell will be taking power continuously and thus a transformer intended for normal door bells may not be suitable as a power supply to a video door bell system.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both for the info.

So you're saying that I would need to buy a transformer with an enclosure. Could I not simply replace the current transformer (shown in green in my picture above) with a new one? Or could I remove the whole box shown in the picture and replace it with the transformer + enclosure (i.e. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203342974405)?

I do have 2 spare slots in my consumer unit, but I'm not that experienced with DIY so I don't want to place the wires from there to the doorbell button...

BTW, my current doorbell is on my downstairs lighting cabling (i.e. same switch on the consumer unit).

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Okay, so I could do this?:

1. Buy a metal enclosure and a transformer
  2. Turn the power off
  3. Remove the existing bell (the whole box pictured above)
  4. Fit the new enclosure + transformer, using the existing power and doorbell wires that are there
  5. Fit the Ring doorbell
  6. Turn the power back on

sounds ok,

I'd probably fit the ring door bell first, to avoid having the power off for too long.

Which ring bell did you buy ? pro? 2?

I got:

Ring Doorbell Wired https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08LR3G17D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chime https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WGJ9JGP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Echo Show 5 which I can have in my home office to monitor the doorbell so I can see if it's worth running downstairs to answer the door https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NJPT8W1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The doorbell and chime were £40 combined
The Echo Show 5 (refurbished, but as new) was £32

Also consider that door bell transformers are only supplying power while the door bell is being pressed. ( the voltage is there but no current flows until the button is pressed ). Some door bell transformers are not rated for continuous supply of power and will begin to over heat if called on to supply power for more than a few seconds per minute.

The ring video door bell will be taking power continuously and thus a transformer intended for normal door bells may not be suitable as a power supply to a video door bell system.
Another myth like the one about shaver transformers. No bell transformers that I’ve seen come with such a warning. It is common for them to continuously supply a light in the bell push.

Finally found a reference to EN 61558-2-8

Quoting from:- ABB_Modular DIN rail transformers_Brochure_EN.pdf

Website https://library.e.abb.com/public/ad...Modular DIN rail transformers_Brochure_EN.pdf

What do fail-safe transformer and non-inherently short-circuit proof transformer mean?

Fail-safe transformer:

Permanently fails to function during overload or short-circuit presenting no danger to the user or surroundings.

It can be equipped with an external protective device, which reactivates after fault resolution.

Non-inherently short-circuit proof transformer:

Equipped with a PTC protective device which reduces the current in the input circuit when the transformer is overloaded or short-circuited and
continues to function after fault resolution.

How long can a bell transformer supply power?

The reference standard EN 61558-2-8 does not specify a specific time but states “Bell and chime transformers are generally intended to supply domestic sound signalling equipment and other similar devices where the load is applied for short periods of time.”

Moreover, regarding temperature testing it says “Temperatures are determined during a cyclic test of 20 cycles, each cycle consisting of 1 min operation with the simulated full load and 5 min operation with a load of 20% of the simulated full load.”

Therefore using a bell transformer for continuous use determines a temperature rise of the transformer which could cause it to stop supplying power, unless the work/pause cycle allows the transformer to sufficiently cool down.

Is it possible to downgrade bell transformer’s power to use it continuously?

Using a transformer to supply a lower load than the nominal power reduces the power loss containing the temperature rise of a bell transformer used continuously.

Nevertheless a lower load than the nominal one destabilizes the voltage output, which by standard has a tolerance of 15% at full load but 100% with no load!

Since the relation is not linear, a transformer working closer to no-load conditions could give a voltage output between 15% and 100% higher than the nominal secondary voltage, endangering a device sensitive to voltage variations

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back