which type flue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have recently removed gas fire with back boiler from fireplace,hoping to replace same with nice gas fire and hearth.How do I know which type of flue my chimney is? There is metal trunking up the chimney still in situ which was removed from the top of the back boiler. I will be much obliged for any help in this matter.

Sponsored Links
You'll need somone with a Gas Fire ticket on the back of their CORGI card.

That flue liner you saw will almost certainly need replacing.
Not a pleasant job.

Can't see why flue liner will need replacing, only removing, unless you are putting a fire box into the fire opening.

surely flue liner could be cut back flush with sealing plate and left in place when new fire fitted ?

Sponsored Links
As follows
1. Remove Flue liner to get full circumfrance of chimney stack
2. Clamp plate and terminal on top of chimney to be removed
3. Chimney pot to be fitted
4. Flue test to be carried out

Agree Ashwood, although when I do this i check the MI's of the fire I'm fitting then fit a gas rated terminal and clamp plate sized appropriatley. Clamp plate can be cemented down again and is easier than fitting a new pot.

Worse one I had needed an 8" terminal. I worried whether helicopters from local airport would land on it :LOL:

i thought most fires now a liner can be used?

i'd always go M.I's 1st like

They can if MI's say so and the flue liner can be fitted sealed to the fire or as previously stated a fire box is fitted first.

if you use existing liner , it still needs to be removed and inspected.

Always thought the reccommendation for flex flue liner replacement was 10 years.

The flue liner must me deemed to last the life of the appliance it is being fitted to, hence always replacing it when fitting a new back boiler.

I think that you can use an existing liner providing you can confirm that it will be safe for a further 10-15 years.

How you can do that without pulling the old one out and inspecting it I don't know

Thats the point, you don't, hence replacing it at the time of a new back boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back