Which type of lock is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased a property and I need to change the lock on one of the aluminium patio doors. I have attached a picture of the lock so I hope it makes any sense to someone. One the inside there is place for the key, I am assuming part of the lock is maybe missing? I can attach more pictures later. But can someone tell what type of lock is this?

View media item 22763

Sponsored Links
need better pictures, of inside and outside..
can't see if it's proprietary or a standard euro cylinder..

I have attached some new picture, can someone now tell which type of lock is it. I thing it is meant to have thumb lock on the inside, which is missing. I could use a flat screw driver to lock and unlock from the inside. to replace the lock, would i also need to change the latch mechanism?

Sponsored Links
so it's just a square hole in the mechanism? you could just fit a regular handle to it maybe..
looks like you'd have to take the door off the tracks to change the lock ( seems like it slides down the inside of the box section and secures from inside out.. )?

you might be able to change the mechanism and, with some creative drilling and filing, fit a new mechanism incorporating a eurocylinder.

alternatively, contact the makers and see if they still carry spares..

Ok, that cylinder is either an single oval or a single scandinavian oval. I can not be more definite as there is nothing to compare size against. If you wish to measure across the face height and depth I will be able to confirm the description. Best advice remove it from the door (same method as euro-cylinders) and take it to your local locksmith shop for a replacement.
DC
Teamlocksmiths.

Upon looking at picture three it is probably a scandinavation oval but the advice is still the same. Both should be stock items for a good locksmith shop.
DC
Teamlocksmiths.

Thanks guy for all your replies. I will measure it and take it to local locks shop. Just have one more question. What would I do about locking from the inside? on the inside there is only a very small hole in the handle area, how would a thumbturn attach there.

I could lock and unlock by putting a flat screw driver through this hole and turning. But I can't see anyway of fixing a thumbturn in this place. I'm attaching a pic on the handle from inside.

Obviously something is missing, there are a couple of operating handles that drive a square shaft to lock/unlock some systems but I do not think this is what would have been there in this case.
It may be that the single cylinder was put in as a the other half cylinder (inside) could not be found. With out examining it I do not think I can advise any further. Again take it all to your local locksmith for hands advice.
It is worth considering additional security anyway, add in a patio door lock (or two).
Let us know how it all works out for you.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

...It is worth considering additional security anyway, add in a patio door lock (or two)...
good idea, your home insurance probably requires an additional key-operated lock top and bottom (mine does) plus an anti-lift device. Patio doors are fundamentally insecure.

get metal patio locks that all work on the same key, especially if you have several such doors. Wickes sell ERA patio locks with the Wickes name on, they are good quality and a third the price of the Yale one at B&Q or Homebase. Screwfix do one it is only slightly cheaper, but does not look so good. Put a key on a cup-hook on the frame inside the room where it is out of sight but easily reached.

that manufacturer's lock is probably pretty useless even when it is working.

Thanks guys. I will definitely look into fitting the patio door locks. At least the door will be secure while I find a lock to replace the old lock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back