Which type of wood for a bookshelf?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make a desk top bookshelf that sits on my desk, something like below. What type of wood do I use, also what type of brackets do I need to fix it all together.

Sponsored Links
The one in the video is factory manufactured , ikea style .
You could use mdf 18mm , easy to cut and finish , conti-board is probably cheapest but looks it.
For my desk I used oak block board , quite expensive but looks it . Do you have a budget ?

The one in the video is factory manufactured , ikea style .
You could use mdf 18mm , easy to cut and finish , conti-board is probably cheapest but looks it.
For my desk I used oak block board , quite expensive but looks it . Do you have a budget ?

Nope but my DIY skills are well, something that need working!

The one in the vid - was just to show what I want to do. The desk is 120cm wide and 70cm deep.

I will want it cutting from whoever I buy it from so all I have to do is attach the pieces.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Nope but my DIY skills are well, something that need working!

The one in the vid - was just to show what I want to do. The desk is 120cm wide and 70cm deep.

I will want it cutting from whoever I buy it from so all I have to do is attach the pieces.
Then mdf would suit , makes sure you allow material thickness in design .
Can be screwed and glued together but screws must be piloted and kept 80mm away from edges to prevent splitting.
Or can be pinned and glued , but either method is more stable if you apply a thin backboard to prevent distortion .

Can be painted , varnished or oiled to finish .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back