Which wax?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a new car and plan to look after it.

I washed and dried it last night, then it ****ed it down. I want to wax it so the water and muck run off it easier but not sure which product to buy?

The car is a medium metallic blue if that makes a difference.

Sponsored Links
No, it's only got 1000miles on it so hoping I can just wax it.

I have used a clay bar on another car, at first it felt and sounded like sandpaper but soon it was as smooth as a babies bottom. Then I put an autoglym polish on it which I think was wrong. As I understand it now polish is an abrasive and wax is a coating.

I've got a new car and plan to look after it.

The car is a medium metallic blue if that makes a difference.

Has the car paint been (Glass or Sealer) treated by the dealer before the original customer took delivery? Usually a sicker in the window or a document in the service pack will let you know. Using polish on such a finish will spoil the protection. If it has then you really don't need to wax the car for several years but wash it regularly.

Sponsored Links
No, they offered me Guard-X paint and interior protection for £500 but I didn't have it.

I don't think they would have already done it before I picked it up. If they had would the water bead on it and run off easily?

Last time I waxed a car I used Turtle Wax. That was years ago. I think it rusted out underneath and failed the MOT @ 7 years old:unsure: Either hand wash yourself or go to a hand carwash, don't use auto ones.

518e5E%2BXCiL.jpg

this works for me...i am on my second tin..after 4 years
you wont regret it
and the last one i got on ebay was a good bit cheaper than the amazon one
of course there are better maybe but this makes the water sheet and lasts for months
dont forget to wash the body down with salt free shampoo and dry fully
use some polish to give the shine...i use
511Lvc+cQUL._AC_US218_.jpg

wax just protects, polish does the shining
and get top quality micro fibre cloths/towel to dry, apply the polish, polish and then polish up the wax after drying off
cheers
geof

Last edited:
So polish then wax?
wash with a salt free shampoo...its advisable
dry fully
polish to get the shine
wax to seal and protect the polished finish....and shed the water
once you wax a car really well...hose it down and watch the water sheet...when you drive off it comes down the rear windscreen like a waterfall...

Someone here was implying MER was no good but they wouldn't say why. I'm a convert to Meguiars paste wax, no hard rubbing!

Have you seen the clay cloths?

If your car is new you wouldn’t need to clay as there may not be much to clay off....
But if it’s over a year old then you should see/feel a difference
I did mine as it wasn’t new and the paintwork shone like new and a lot of atmospheric gunge came off...straight away I polished and waxed.
I use built hamber clay bar which lasts a long time..you cut it into quarters
It doesn’t need oil just some water with wash up liquid to strip off the old wax and polish
Go easy
Cheers
GEOF

Sponsored Links
Back