White Monitor Screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Samsung monitor came up with a white screen when I turned it on the other day. I've tried turning it off and on but it's still just plain white. At first I thought the monitor had gone but when I connect it to another PC it works fine. Sounds like the graphics card in my PC has gone.

Is there a way for me to check the graphics card (or anything else) before I splash out on another card?

Sponsored Links
Try the cables, it may not be fully plugged into the PC or monitor.
Plug another monitor into it.
If that works, try swapping the cable onto the good monitor.

Is it on board graphics or a GPU card? Has the PC been moved recently?
Turn the power off.
Open the PC case (2 screws at the back holding the side on usually)
locate your graphics card, firmly but gently reseat it/push it down into the connector.

Plug the monitor in, turn the power on, boot the pc (any beeps on boot up?).

If all is good, put the side back on, if not you need to identify the card/slot in order to obtain a replacement.
This is assuming it is a card and not an on board monitor, in which case you can buy a card to plug in.
Then its a case of what do you use your computer for (which generally dictates how good a card you need).

Thanks, unfortunately I haven't got another DVI-DVI cable handy (plenty of VGAs) so I'll nip out tomorrow and get another. I thought about trying another monitor but all my spares have only got VGA connectors.

The graphics card is a Nvidia Quadro FX4600, a bit chunky but everything in the case seems secure. I gave it all a clean and then reconnected it up but still just a blank screen.

Finally got a cable, but no luck still a blank screen. Then bought a DVI-VGA adaptor and connected to monitor using a VGA cable, still no luck. Then bought a second DVI-D cable and hey presto everything fine. Obviously the old DVI cable had given up, I'm assuming the first DVI-D cable that I bought was just duff.

The original DVI-D cable was bought new 6 months, do DVI-D cable really only last that long?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I bought them off eBay, as I've always done. Not the cheapest ones but from a business seller who according to the page had sold thousands of them. I think I paid about a fiver. Maplins have some on their website for 34.99, which seems a bit steep, they do come with a 5 year guarantee but even then that sounds a lot. How much would you expect to pay for a decent DVI-D cable (2-3m)?

Back