Who do I get to change my meter tails?

I promise I have seen far too many dalliances from the norm or regs to disbelieve people.
Indeed!

Of course, the really daft thing is that the incoming neutral (the one with the visible red insulation!) is only ~16mm² - it's only the neutrals from the Henley to the meter, and from the meter to the isolator, which are ~25mm²!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Indeed. When harmonics come into the picture, the whole thing gets much more complicated. However, again, I suspect probably not usually a significant issue in domestic installations.

If the loads on the phases are markedly imbalanced not only in terms of magnitude but also PF, then it can happen. I doubt that such a situation is (to any significant extent) all that common, and, I would think, most unlikely to be a significant issue in a domestic or similar installation.

Kind Regards, John
Thanks, like Sunray its been some time since I learnt it

Sponsored Links
That makes three of us, then - and the 'some time' might well be longer for me that for either of you two :)

As BAS has pointed out, it's not only non-resistive loads that can increase neutral currents - as he implied, so can harmonics (since the phase relationships between phases will then be different), even if loads are balanced across phases.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed!

Of course, the really daft thing is that the incoming neutral (the one with the visible red insulation!) is only ~16mm² - it's only the neutrals from the Henley to the meter, and from the meter to the isolator, which are ~25mm²!

Kind Regards, John
It maybe just he had no 16mm Black left on the van and had a conscious unlike the other bloke..

It maybe just he had no 16mm Black left on the van and had a conscious unlike the other bloke..
That's obviously possible - although I suspect it's more likely that he didn't have a proper understanding of 3-phase electricity. It's also worth pointing out that this would have been a good few decades ago.

Kind Regards, John

As a telephone apprentice the theory went right over my head in the early 70's, albeit I had grown up with a lot of electrical work including 3Ph, It wasn't until the turn of the century I started into control panels and suddenly had to put 30 year old college work into practice, much of the design stage is of course not generally used these days. But suddenly I found I was customer facing and fault finding on their kit.
I've reached the state of health and age where I avoid work but these day I tend to get called in for repeat faults or after others have failed to resolve a problem. Just recently though I've had a spate of little just jobs which are mostly 2 way switching failures and I hate the problems associated with domestics...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back