Who is allowed/supposed to fit an on-demand water heater?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you are fitting something that requires both electric and water connections, what's the right way to get trades in if you have separate electricians and plumbers?
Actually same for an electric shower... most plumbers don't have part P do they?

Presumably if you engage a heating engineer they would be covered for both?

Sponsored Links
If you are fitting something that requires both electric and water connections, what's the right way to get trades in if you have separate electricians and plumbers?
I think that plumbers are generally regarded (rightly or wrongly) as being able to connect things to an existing nearby electricity supply - be it a water heater, immersion, boiler, CH pump or whatever - but I doubt that you'd find many electricians doing any 'plumbing' :)
Actually same for an electric shower... most plumbers don't have part P do they?
This is potentially different, since installing a new electric shower (hence a new circuit) in a bathroom would be (electrically) 'notifiable' work, and therefore would usually need a 'registered' ('self-certifying') electrician involved. However, replacing an existing shower, with an existing electricity supply, would probably not be notifiable.

Kind Regards, John

You cannot 'have Part P'; it is a Building Regulation with which everyone must comply.

upload_2019-11-19_16-45-49.png

That's it. There is no more.

As for the self-notification schemes (stupidly called self-certification schemes), they were introduced specifically for ancillary trades like plumbers.
However, in England most of the notifiable work has been removed from the list meaning most ancillary trades no longer need to join.

As said though, one remaining thing is the installation of a new circuit, so a plumber might become registered but it would hardly be worth it.

You cannot 'have Part P'; it is a Building Regulation with which everyone must comply.

View attachment 176262

That's it. There is no more.

As for the self-notification schemes (stupidly called self-certification schemes), they were introduced specifically for ancillary trades like plumbers.
However, in England most of the notifiable work has been removed from the list meaning most ancillary trades no longer need to join.

As said though, one remaining thing is the installation of a new circuit, so a plumber might become registered but it would hardly be worth it.
Ok so what is the certification electricians have that means they can certify their work and be held liable for it, that they all call "part p" but clearly inaccurately so? I.e work they sign off will be accepted by building control?

In my case we're talking all new. I have an electrician lined up but I'm not sure who should connect these units or in what order... Should he wire them and then someone else connects them to the water, strictly speaking?

Some units are mains plug not hard wired, does this make any difference in the slightest?

Sponsored Links
Ok so what is the certification electricians have that means they can certify their work and be held liable for it, that they all call "part p" but clearly inaccurately so? I.e work they sign off will be accepted by building control?
Anyone can and should certify - fill out a certificate - their electrical work. Hence why I called it a stupid name.

In my case we're talking all new. I have an electrician lined up but I'm not sure who should connect these units or in what order... Should he wire them and then someone else connects them to the water, strictly speaking?
As you are talking about an on-demand water heater (not an electric shower), it will likely just be connected to a socket circuit, or indeed just plugged into a socket, so not a new circuit, therefore anyone can do it.

Some units are mains plug not hard wired, does this make any difference in the slightest?
Yes, it will just be plugged in - like a kettle - so not really anything to do with the electrical side of things.

Obviously, you might not have a socket in the right place, so you could get an electrician to fit one first - or do it yourself.

So I can wire my entire house without any training, verify it and nobody will check, or care that I've no professional training?

I thought professionals had to do a lot and keep current... Or is that perhaps more to do with insurance?

Thanks for clarifying about plug-in units, that potentially makes it far simpler. I guess I figured an installed appliance might be treated differently if it is permanently plumbed.

So I can wire my entire house without any training, verify it and nobody will check, or care that I've no professional training?
Not really. You would legally have to notify the work to the Building Control and pay a hefty fee before you start and they may not deem you competent.

It's no different to building an extension.

No. Just a few things (in England, a lot more in Wales) have to be 'notified' to Building Control - and that essentially comes down to replacing a CU and installing new circuits (which are fundamental parts of "wiring an entire house") and certain things in bathrooms - and (quite apart from charging a few hundred pounds) BC would generally not accept that being done by someone with no training/competence.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: typed too slowly again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back