Who is responsible for identifying slanted wall ??

It depends on who was managing the project.
and yes, can we see a photo please.

Sponsored Links
Hiya, these are the pics i took....If you look at photo 1 you will get the idea of where its heading,upwards and outwards. If you check picture 2 you can see a few feet up where the frame gets closer to wall. They obviously have to leave a fire stop cavity and as you can see this means the bricks cannot tie into the wall. These walls were supposed to join totally flush. What do you reckon ? [/img]

Sponsored Links
ok my thoughts

have you any complaints about the work appart from the tieing in fiasco!!!

i would have though a wall thats 6 inches out is unsafe and needs rebuilding

I'm afraid I don't see any 6" out of plumb in those pics.

From what I can see the framework has been put in the wrong place and everyone has carried on regardless.

The responsibility to you lies with whoever undertook the project for you ie architect/contractor. In theory if your existing wall was 6" out of plumb then the chippy should have mentioned it to the contractor who then should have made a decision on how to proceed.

Obviously it can't be built 6" out of upright so you have got what you have. The only person you can take a grievance to is the person / company you are paying your money to. Everyone should have noticed it and I'd imagine they all did and chose to ignore it. You couldn't really miss it if it's 6"!!!

Chessky I will need to get a photo of finished wall but surely you can already see by the pics that the bricks are going in different directions and were never going to be flush. Remember its the house wall thats gradually slanting away whilst the new wall is built plumb. Im begining to think you are my builder :p

There seems to be a problem with the definition of plumb and square here.
It is not unusuall to make a 4" 'step' where two walls meet anyway.

Chesspy I dont doubt its not unusual for a 4" step but my architects plans were for a totally flush adjoining wall so in this instance it is definitely an error.

If the extension is square,
that means the house has been built on the 'squint' (it is not uncommon for houses to be built so, to fit the shape of the plot)
no one could reasonably be expected to spot that, not even the architect, who would show the existing as square as an accepted convention.
The builder was presumably working to the dimensions give on the drawing, and building a square extension. if he altered the dimensions to suit your out of square house, (if in fact that is what occurred then you could have sued him for not sticking to the drawings.)
If the extension is square, (measure from corner to corner internally it should be less than 1" difference in size) and the other dims , length breadth etc are to plan then the builder has done what you asked.
As an honorable man in this case you should pay the builder a sum equivalent to the amount you were expecting as a discount as a bonus.

Just a thought: do you think that the guys might have actually noted that the existing wall was out of plumb and therefore stepped the new one out at the bottom, so that there is a step all the way up, rather than starting off in the same plane and then becoming stepped out, which would look twice as bad?

The only alternative would have been to form the step the other way, either making your extension slightly smaller, or moving it along a tad.

Either way, the net result would be a variable step.

You can only work with what you've got and they couldn't build the new wall out of plumb.

By the look of the pix, I can't see that there's 6" out of plumb...

Just a thought: do you think that the guys might have actually noted that the existing wall was out of plumb and therefore stepped the new one out at the bottom, so that there is a step all the way up, rather than starting off in the same plane and then becoming stepped out, which would look twice as bad?

By the look of the pix, I can't see that there's 6" out of plumb...

these were exactly my thoughts too.

There seems to be a problem with the definition of plumb and square here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back