who wires the boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear everyone,

I am a new spark. Just wondering for boiler wiring, who normally do the work, the gas safe engineer or electrician? If an electrician do it he probably has to take the boilers cover off. Is he qualified to do that?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Whoever is asked to carry out the work and is competent to do so.

There's no problem removing the cover.

Generally you dont have to open the combustion chamber on a boiler to flex it up :)

Generally you dont have to open the combustion chamber on a boiler to flex it up :)

Actually, I think only a person competent to work on gas appliances is supposed to remove any covers in the event that the appliance is not room sealed, and removing the casing could affect the airflow to the burner. That's just something I've gleaned from the plumbing forum, so I couldn't tell you where the information originated from.

Sponsored Links
Part P (P1)

New central heating control wiring installations are notifiable even where work in kitchens and bathrooms is avoided.

I wasn't aware that there was a difference, can you expand on your point so that (again) we can all learn.

Schedule 2B, the list of non-notifiable works contains

3. Work on—
(a) telephone wiring or extra-low voltage wiring for the purposes of communications,
information technology, signalling, control and similar purposes, where the wiring is not
in a special location;

Ahh OK. Not too much ELV heating controls around here.

bluesky1
Can you advise if the boiler wiring you are asking about is the - more common in domestic premises - low voltage (230v) variety?

when i was doing plumbing work on site the electricians would always do the wiring.

just had a boiler installed to replace old one . . gas fitter gas safe registered . he also fitted the new wireless room thermostat, this is connected from exsisting fcu situated above boiler .

my only concern is that the wire from fcu to wireless unit is running across the gas pipe .

does the regs permit this or should gas / electric be certain difference from each other.

regards , dave

Part P (P1)

New central heating control wiring installations are notifiable even where work in kitchens and bathrooms is avoided.

Surely a mains supply to a boiler is not part of the control wiring?

No but many heating systems have external wired thermostats which will fall under the category of a control system. Most are also 230v so will be notifiable.

I asked my assesor about wireless thermostats and notification..

He said that theoretically the cable from the boiler to the receiver is notifiable,, I told him that there is no way that I'm going to notify 12" of surface clipped cable that goes to a surface box

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back