Who's responsibilty..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....is it to replace/upgrade the main earthing conductor? Does anyone know?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
bgec4321 said:
It is the owners or the contractor (working for the owner)

But it is on the DNO side of things, should they not have to upgrade it if does not comply.
I have upgraded the CU and made all the bonding comply and am using this job for my assessment but as I said the main earthing conductor needs replacing. Also it is a flat and and the incoming supply to it supplies a flat above. Do I upgrade the MEC for only my flat or what?

Which bit needs replacing/upgrading?If it is from the CU/MET to the suppliers terminal then it is the owners responsibility.

If it is TN-S and there is a poorly fitted earth wire/tag on the incoming cable then it is the DNO's responsibility.

If the meters are downstairs and there is a sub-main arrangement then this will be the landlord's responsibility.

The piece of wire is yours, but the terminal point is theirs. If it is a nasty pipe clamp, you can ask them to provide a sweated terminal which is more reliable, but try to get them to convert it to PME. they will probably charg £60 or so but it might be free.

I think I know where Podooser is coming from with this, the bit which got me was the other flat is also connected to this earthing point, interfering with Podoosers flat main earthing conductor will interfere with the other flat which is why I am unsure as to who's responsibility it is to upgrade it.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=92696

Here is a photo of the incoming earth that is connected to both my flat and the flat above. Does it look suitable?

Earth-arrangement.jpg

This may be a route forward.

Leave the existing earth in place ( it probably does provide enough safety but probably less than the regulations require in terms of impedance and operating times )

Install new earthing the regulations to an earth block located adajacent to the cut out with enough spare cable for it to be moved to where ever the DNO want it when they up-grade earth they provide from the incomer.

You have then done all that is required and are waiting for the DNO to upgrade. Leaving the existing earth connected maintains safety while waiting for the DNO.

If not already done, write to the electricity supplier, saying there are perished braided rubber tails between the cutout and the meter; the cutout is in poor condition, and asking for a new cutout with PME.

Then your new earth block can be connected to their earthing terminal using the short length of 16mm G&Y you proviide. I think you'd better use an 8-way block. the engineer might not connect the earth wire to whatever new terminal they provide so you may need to call back to make sure. If you try to put it on that old clamp it might not fit unless you use a crimped eye and a new screw and not.

If you work is being inspected you could put G&Y tape on the old earth wire to identify it (never use G&Y tape just as sticky tape to fasten things together, only as an earth identifier)

p.s. out of interest, can you take a wider pic to show the rest of the meter/cutout/tails/cable to other flat?

When measuring Ze would I have to disconnect the earth to upstairs as well? I figure I would have to in order to get an accurate reading.

In theory yes, but you must not under any circumstance disconnect the earth to upstairs while their supply is still live, otherwise metalwork in their flat could rise to a dangerous potential.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back