why a rewire. DOMROE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have you got an earth wire running through the lighting circuit if so i would not worry about a rewire unless your thinking of adding loads of extra lights and sockets and a shower as the wiring will have to updated otherwise a new CU should be suffice.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have got an Earth wire in the lighting circuit. And I don't want to add any more lights or a shower. I was suprised to hear I need a rewire. I just want a safe, modern consumer unit.

Thanks for the reply, Dom.

Has this been moved / chopped from another thread? It makes no sense at all!

And domroe, IIRC, you have a 4-way CU. Only 1 ring main for the whole house. and one lighting circuit? This might be fine for a small terraced house, but if your house is any bigger, i would seriously consider getting a rewire done.

I'm sure ban will be along any minute with his list of about 30 circuits that it is possible for a modern house to have! :LOL:

This has been chopped from another thead ( Not my doing though ) I have a 3 bed Terrace house. Will I have to re-mortgage for a re-wire, if so what are the benefits, is my 4 way CU unsafe ?

Sponsored Links
How old is the existing wiring? One of the reasons a new CU is surprisingly expensive, it that all the circuits connecting into it have to be tested, rectified if necessary, and certificated - that means a test and possibly overhaul of your entire electrical system; so if you're going to all that expense, it may be a good time to be rewired. If nothing else, it's a good time to split the sockets into an upstairs and a downstairs ring; same with the lights, and add any oddments.

I was thinking, the other day, if one just wanted a new CU and the existing wiring was adequate for now, one might ask the electrician to include a couple of 5A lighting circuits with only one lamp in them, next to the CU, and maybe a 32A ring and a 40 radial, both of which fed only one socket each, on the grounds that a householder can add more sockets, or lights, to a circuit without needing to be recertificated.

The old wiring is probably original 1973 I think. I must say though, I have been living here a year, and I have never had a fuse trip at all. Even using high power appliances at the same time, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer. Were is the incentive for a re-wire ?

domroe said:
The old wiring is probably original 1973 I think. I must say though, I have been living here a year, and I have never had a fuse trip at all. Even using high power appliances at the same time, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer. Were is the incentive for a re-wire ?
All the sockets in your house are on the same circuit. Theoretically, if you have your tumble dryer, an electric heater / fire, a few TVs, PC, Oven, Washing Machine, and any other appliances, you could be drawing more than enough current to trip the MCB.

It is perfectly acceptable at the moment, to have your electrician fit a 12 way CU, with the possibility of a rewire in the near future. Life of household wiring nowadays is average 20-30 years. Any wiring older than 30 years should be inspected thoroughly if it hasn't been already. Have the CU changed, and get a PIR done at the same time.

Thanks Crafty, I think I will put a new CU to the top of the To Do List.

doesn't a C/U change require an EIC and not a PIR?

Yes, a PIR will highlight if the CU requires changing, the act of changing it requires an EIC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back