Why are all expansion vessels so cr#p!!

Sponsored Links
Boiler and vessel manufacturers are a clueless bunch....these calculations are wrong in that they assume a high hot working pressure is acceptable....they make no allowance for the drop in air/nitrogen charge over the course of a year of 2 between checks. There's also no allowance made for the setting of a higher than ideal cold pressure due to misunderstanding by users.

Say for instance your cold pressure is 1 bar. For a reliable and sensible pressure increase I size the vessel for no more than a 0.5 bar increase when hot. Then the system is not subjected to a high fluctuation in pressure each time the heating's on and there is a significant margin left (between hot working pressue and the safety going off) as the vessel loses air over the course of a year or 2 before vessel re-charging.

It's now become a joke with manufacturers sticking 6 litre vessels in their boilers. Hot pressures are going well beyond 2 bar and if the vessel is not checked each year there's a good chance of the safety opening after just a couple of years. In addition it only takes a user (and plenty of installers) overpressurising through lack of understanding and the situations even worse.

This is a 15 litre vessel fitted to the Vaillants of 40 odd years ago (the sine). Made by W&P and quality...but nowadays it's no longer acceptable for a boiler maker...it's gotta be cheap cheap cheap so 6 or 8 litres and a diaphragm thick as a balloon.

http://www.boilerparts.co.uk/Uploads/VAILLANT/181001.jpg

Boiler and vessel manufacturers are a clueless bunch....these calculations are wrong in that they assume a high hot working pressure is acceptable....they make no allowance for the drop in air/nitrogen charge over the course of a year of 2 between checks. There's also no allowance made for the setting of a higher than ideal cold pressure due to misunderstanding by users.

Say for instance your cold pressure is 1 bar. For a reliable and sensible pressure increase I size the vessel for no more than a 0.5 bar increase when hot. Then the system is not subjected to a high fluctuation in pressure each time the heating's on and there is a significant margin left (between hot working pressue and the safety going off) as the vessel loses air over the course of a year or 2 before vessel re-charging.

It's now become a joke with manufacturers sticking 6 litre vessels in their boilers. Hot pressures are going well beyond 2 bar and if the vessel is not checked each year there's a good chance of the safety opening after just a couple of years. In addition it only takes a user (and plenty of installers) overpressurising through lack of understanding and the situations even worse.

This is a 15 litre vessel fitted to the Vaillants of 40 odd years ago (the sine). Made by W&P and quality...but nowadays it's no longer acceptable for a boiler maker...it's gotta be cheap cheap cheap so 6 or 8 litres and a diaphragm thick as a balloon.

http://www.boilerparts.co.uk/Uploads/VAILLANT/181001.jpg[/QUOTE]

Very harsh guru. Manufacturers have forgotten more than you and I know about making a boiler and it's components though the results are dissapointing and you are correct in some respects.

When I was putting Sines in 30 Years ago they cost me I guess £3-400; to manufacture and sell a comparible boiler I would imagine, and of course this is a guess, over £2000 nowadays. Nobody will pay that money. Any of the manufacturers can do it but they'd have no sales.

Those beautiful machines were still being stripped out after a few years because they were installed poorly, those put in well are still out there 30 years later but they are an infinitesimal percentage of the number of boilers that went in.

People remodel houses relocating boilers

They buy a supposedly premium product then look for the cheapest quote to get it installed.

Installers often have no concept of sizing an expansion vessel.

How can you blame a manufacturer for an 8 litre expansion vessel which, when it is sufficient for the system volume and pressure is fine. The manufacturer is not responsible for a lack of understanding on the part of the customer or installer.

Houses are getting smaller and the heat requirement reducing so system volume is less of a problem often.

Why would a manufacturer build to a standard that would put them out of business by installers who will spend hours on the phone chasing a 1% additional discount. Whose lack of knowledge on the installation will shorten the life of the boiler and in ignorance (I hope) find it in their best interests not to fully understand the ramifications of an installation lacking in some respects or a service routine that ensures the boiler is safe at the time of the money exchanging hands but not an inspection of consumables or mechanical items that take time, add cost and lose them a visit next year.

Installed well and serviced properly they are not more expensive over their lifetime but the customer wants to change for reasons of efficiency, free grant, legislation, an £8,000,000 marketing budget; a host of other reasons and is not interested in the bottom line in 15 years but at that moment.

Sponsored Links

http://www.boilerparts.co.uk/Uploads/VAILLANT/181001.jpg[/QUOTE]

Very harsh guru. Manufacturers have forgotten more than you and I know about making a boiler and it's components though the results are dissapointing and you are correct in some respects.

When I was putting Sines in 30 Years ago they cost me I guess £3-400; to manufacture and sell a comparible boiler I would imagine, and of course this is a guess, over £2000 nowadays. Nobody will pay that money. Any of the manufacturers can do it but they'd have no sales.

Those beautiful machines were still being stripped out after a few years because they were installed poorly, those put in well are still out there 30 years later but they are an infinitesimal percentage of the number of boilers that went in.

People remodel houses relocating boilers

They buy a supposedly premium product then look for the cheapest quote to get it installed.

Installers often have no concept of sizing an expansion vessel.

How can you blame a manufacturer for an 8 litre expansion vessel which, when it is sufficient for the system volume and pressure is fine. The manufacturer is not responsible for a lack of understanding on the part of the customer or installer.

Houses are getting smaller and the heat requirement reducing so system volume is less of a problem often.

Why would a manufacturer build to a standard that would put them out of business by installers who will spend hours on the phone chasing a 1% additional discount. Whose lack of knowledge on the installation will shorten the life of the boiler and in ignorance (I hope) find it in their best interests not to fully understand the ramifications of an installation lacking in some respects or a service routine that ensures the boiler is safe at the time of the money exchanging hands but not an inspection of consumables or mechanical items that take time, add cost and lose them a visit next year.

Installed well and serviced properly they are not more expensive over their lifetime but the customer wants to change for reasons of efficiency, free grant, legislation, an £8,000,000 marketing budget; a host of other reasons and is not interested in the bottom line in 15 years but at that moment.

Get real, boiler manufacturers only build boilers for a short life span & if they didn't make money doing it; they'd go belly up very quickly. The boilers sold in this country are c.ap!!!

Simplistic answers are generally wrong or at best incomplete.

Of course manufacturers want to make boilers and sell them but you can't buck the market which knows the price of everything but not the value.

All you have to do is make a two and a half grand boiler that lasts for 30 years and find enough people to buy it and get it put in and serviced properly.

If boilers are crap it's because it's a cr*p world.

Of course manufacturers want to make boilers and sell them but you can't buck the market which knows the price of everything but not the value.

All you have to do is make a two and a half grand boiler that lasts for 30 years and find enough people to buy it and get it put in and serviced properly.

My world is far from cr.p matey. You speak for yourself!!

I do speak for myself and I read what you write, your opinions and comments; your world does not seem that far from crap, perhaps it commutes to here :)

Trying to get back to basics!

The manufacturers design their boilers for a typical smaller three bed semi with a heat loss of about 8-9 kW average heat loss.

At the correct low water content radiators for that power output the smaller expansion vessel is quite adequate. That keeps the boiler price down and gives a competitively priced product.

The manufacturers make it very clear that in some cases an additional external vessel is required.

But few installers ever read the instructions or even consider if an additional vessel is needed and certainly don't price for one.

The old Sine 18 is rather amusing to me because its odd design creates a boiler which can carry on working to an extent with several faults. Most of those which I go to repair have more than one fault.

Even the Response 80/120 will provide DHW when the DHW flow switch has failed if the CH is turned on.

Tony

I do speak for myself and I read what you write, your opinions and comments; your world does not seem that far from crap, perhaps it commutes to here :)

Well, if your life is crap; stop writing sh.t on dead beat forums, get out more & change you crappy life. There's a wonderful world out there just waiting for you son, go & grab some!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back