why are people getting more useless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as a heating engineer visiting peoples properties im finding the most simple things people cannot do
1.vent radiators
2.turn on a room stat
3.work out how to operate a simple programmer even with instructions
4.adjust radiator valves
5.repressurise boiler via filing loop
i could go on but its strange they can get out of bed wash dress eat and cook food wipe their own backside and go to work[not all]
has anyone had any funny moments

Sponsored Links
Just bone idle some folk and not interested but keeps the rest of us busy.

A funny;
costumer wanted an electric shower fitted, as they thought it would not need a water supply :confused:

Sponsored Links
its because the govt want tom dick and harry to do the jobs people use to train years to accomplish.thus making so called "clever" materials that idiots can fit.and this is extended to them doing the thinking for tom dick and harry.if you get my drift

Solman asks "Why are people getting more useless?".

I think, in large part, it's because we're encouraged to be or are forced to use technology that's way beyond our understanding.

Cars are an obvious example. Who can remember back to the days of their first car with a nice old-fashioned carburettor and distributor that anyone of a practical bent could maintain and repair very cheaply. No worries about the ABS packing up back then - there wasn't any. What chance do you stand under the bonnet nowadays? Even 'proper' car mechanics spend a lot of their time swapping defective black boxes that the computerised diagnostic rig has told them to change, with little or no idea of how the boxes work.

Another part of the equation is simply that we're a lot richer than we were in the post-war austerity era. People expect stuff to be more modern and flashier and seeing as they can afford it, that's what they get. No complaining if your digital room-stat packs up - you're the one who swapped it for the 25 year old mechanical model that would have lasted forever.

Still - keep buying stuff, chaps. It's a consumption led capitalist age we're living in so the world economy will collapse if you don't!

:(

Re-cars, just got back from the States and whilst there the rental car sudenly decided to warn me of low tyre pressure at about 11pm one night.
I pulled into the nearest garage but their tyre inflaters don't have a pressure guage on them.
After checking the hand book to find the recommended pressure, a guy from the kiosk came out to offer some help, and he had a pressure guage in his hand.
I explained the warning light had come on and after checking all the tyres, which were all at book pressure of 28psi, he said it was most likely the change in outside air temp from when we had parked up about five hours earlier.
The warning light stayed on for the next four miles then went off, and we never saw it again.

Technology, bah! If I had had a flat tyre, I would have known with the way car handled so extras , which are costly, fitted for no real reason.

Sponsored Links
Back