Why aren't we happier?

Sponsored Links
It's not as cheap and people want cheap. I'm not aware that the carbon content in the emissions can be removed anyway. If it can - then we'll soon start using it. Do you have a link?

Coal burning and acid emissions have nothing to do with C02 output, they are to do with the fact that British coal has a high sulphur content. This can be scrubbed from the waste gasses and be processed into useful chemicals such as sulphuric acid.

If you didn't burn the coal you wouldn't have any CO2 output - so how can you say there is no link? Coal is pretty much pure carbon and when you burn it in oxygen it combines to form (and release) CO2. How can you say it has nothing to do with it?

Oh, and coal is not near pure carbon, its a hydrocarbon, with more hydrogen by percentage (not mass) than carbon.

"Composition of coal

Coal is classified according to its heating value and according to its relative content of elemental carbon. For example, anthracite contains the highest proportion of pure carbon (about 86%-98%)"

Haven't you seen Superman squeeze coal into diamond? (pure carbon)

It's not as cheap and people want cheap. I'm not aware that the carbon content in the emissions can be removed anyway. If it can - then we'll soon start using it. Do you have a link?

Coal burning and acid emissions have nothing to do with C02 output, they are to do with the fact that British coal has a high sulphur content. This can be scrubbed from the waste gasses and be processed into useful chemicals such as sulphuric acid.

If you didn't burn the coal you wouldn't have any CO2 output - so how can you say there is no link? Coal is pretty much pure carbon and when you burn it in oxygen it combines to form (and release) CO2. How can you say it has nothing to do with it?

Oh, and coal is not near pure carbon, its a hydrocarbon, with more hydrogen by percentage (not mass) than carbon.

"Composition of coal

Coal is classified according to its heating value and according to its relative content of elemental carbon. For example, anthracite contains the highest proportion of pure carbon (about 86%-98%)"

Haven't you seen Superman squeeze coal into diamond? (pure carbon)

As opposed to lignite around 50% carbon.

as from your source

Anyhow I'd imagine burning pure carbon would be an endothermic reation.

Sponsored Links
Yeah but you said this: (which is wrong, totally and completely.)

"Oh, and coal is not near pure carbon, its a hydrocarbon, with more hydrogen by percentage (not mass) than carbon."

So in what form is the hydrogen?

"Oh, and coal is not near pure carbon, its a hydrocarbon, with more hydrogen by percentage (not mass) than carbon."

Um, bound with the carbon, as in hydrocarbon. you know as in methane CH4 benzene C6H6 alcohol C2H5OH et al.

But hydrogen having a mass of one as apposed to carbon with a mass of ~12 then yes on a mass basis coal has more carbon in it, but on a percentage basis it probably has more hydrogen.

But hydrogen having a mass of one as apposed to carbon with a mass of ~12 then yes on a mass basis coal has more carbon in it, but on a percentage basis it probably has more hydrogen.
What??? :eek: :eek:

Don't be silly. Anthracite is up to 98% carbon. The other 2% are impurities like sulfur.

If you keep digging - you'll find your own coal seam.

Also since when does 50% form nearly pure carbon, most of britains coal is of the bituminous variety.

Oh, BTW burning pure carbon is exothermic, sorry about that.

The 50% isn't hydrogen. Stop digging. Most of it is stuff like sulpher and silica. That's why you get so much ash.

Joe, in the days before we switched to natural gas we used to manufacture all our gas from coal. The so called 'town gas' was mainly composed of hydrogen but also contained some carbon monoxide which made it poisonous. You're an old git, you should remember ;)

I do remember but that doesn't mean that coal is more than 50% hydrogen.

I do remember but that doesn't mean that coal is more than 50% hydrogen.

Sigh, take methane CH4 by mass it is 75% Carbon by composition it is 20% geddit! Oh I'm not suggesting that Methane is coal, it's an example ok.

Sponsored Links
Back