Why aren't we happier?

What percentage of a kilo of coal is methane?

Sponsored Links
No I don't wear glasses. So what's the answer?

Sponsored Links
What are you going on about methane for then?

Ok, from here

Bitumenous coal (the most common form) Elemental analysis gives empirical formulas such as C137H97O9NS

By composition NOT mass

Carbon ~ 55%
Hydrogen ~ 40 %
Oxygen ~ 3 %
Nitogen < 1%
Sulphur < 1%

By Mass

Carbon ~ 85 %
Hydrogen ~ 5 %
Oxygen ~ 7 %
Nitogen ~ 1 %
Sulphur ~ 2%

I don't see where the Silica SiO2 is ?

Happy, or not?

Yes happy. 85% of coal is carbon.

BY mass yes, but it's not made of 85% carbon. Think of alcoholic drinks that are measured percentage wise as ABV not in relative atomic weights.

"Oh, and coal is not near pure carbon, its a hydrocarbon, with more hydrogen by percentage (not mass) than carbon."

So this bit that I wrote is wrong in that there is more carbon the hydrogen even by composition, but it was close.

Call it what you like but 85% carbon means that has got far more carbon than you were saying (more than 50% hydrogen).

Call it what you like but 85% carbon means that has got far more carbon than you were saying (more than 50% hydrogen).

By weight yes, but that's becuase carbon is 12 times heavier, chemical reactions do not occur due to the weight of the atom in question.

Coal is classified according to the proportion of carbon it contains. The main types are anthracite (shiny, with about 90% carbon), bituminous coal (shiny and dull patches, about 75% carbon), and lignite (woody, grading into peat, about 50% carbon).

Coal is classified according to the proportion of carbon it contains. The main types are anthracite (shiny, with about 90% carbon), bituminous coal (shiny and dull patches, about 75% carbon), and lignite (woody, grading into peat, about 50% carbon).

Yeah, oddly in the link I posted it states that lignite is 70% water. 70% water and 50% carbon. Hmmmm. :LOL:

Joe's logic however seems to be going along the lines of :-

My Automotive collection consists of 10 cars and 8 motorbikes

ergo, my Automotive collection is almost purely made up of cars.

No. You stated that hydrogen was the most abundant element in coal. I said it was carbon. The mighty joe-90 wins again. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back