Why can I not fit French doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I would like to replace my ageing UPVC sliding doors with a nice set of French doors. However, the chap who came out to survey said we cannot fit French doors due to the size of the opening. It looks pretty normal-sized to me. Can anyone give me an idea why we cannot do this, as I wasn't around to ask questions of the surveyor who turned up.

Another house the same as mine has lovely French doors so I can't understand it...Any ideas?

Gary

Sponsored Links
what are the wall-to-wall and floor-to soffit dimensions?

generally speaking you can have doors made to any size, but you may need to get a good joiner to make them up for you.

If they are slightly undersize it is not difficult to cut down a frame and doors by a few inches; if they are slightly oversize they can be packed out a bit.

the person who came round might have wanted to fit standard-sized off the shelf ready made door sets (or might have wanted to sell you PVS doors)

See if any friends or neighbours know a good local joiner

french style upvc doors are notorious for dropping, the bigger the door the greater the risk of dropping.

i would say 1.8m is the largest you would want a pair of doors, any larger then you want to be thinking about side panel glazing.

these doors need to be 'toe & heel' packed correctly. if they are not, then even the narrowest of doors will drop.

noseall's just about right,they dont recommend having any door not just french over 900mm wide(some say 1mtr) mainly because of the weight of the door and glass on the hinges,if the doors are oversize why not reduce it with side panels.

Sponsored Links
Well RivendellProductions, your query can be better replied only when if I can know the exact dimension of your door. As far my experience suggests, any doors can be replaced with ease. So I think that the guy told you lie for any reasons. Kindly check with your local carpenter. That will be your best option.

Advertising link Removed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back