Why Can't We Agree on Anything?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A conversation question in regard to American society can be asked about the state of the UK today.

from the article:
There are two ideas that can help us think about polarization on matters of fact. The first, “epistemic pluralism,” helps describe [UK] society today, and how we got here. The second, “epistemic dependence,” can help us reflect on where our knowledge comes from in the first place.

For example, psychologist and law professor Dan Kahan and his collaborators have described two phenomena that affect the ways in which people form different beliefs from the same information.
The first is called “identity-protective cognition.” This describes how individuals are motivated to adopt the empirical beliefs of groups they identify with in order to signal that they belong.
The second is “cultural cognition”: people tend to say that a behavior has a greater risk of harm if they disapprove of the behavior for other reasons – handgun regulation and nuclear waste disposal, for example.

Beyond these psychological factors, there is another major source of epistemic pluralism. In a society characterized by freedom of conscience and freedom of expression, individuals bear “burdens of judgment,” as the American philosopher John Rawls wrote. Without the government or an official church telling people what to think, we all have to decide for ourselves – and that inevitably leads to a diversity of moral viewpoints...
However, this raises a tricky problem: Who has sufficient epistemic authority to qualify as an expert on a particular topic? Much of the erosion of our shared reality in recent years seems to be driven by disagreement about whom to believe.

Whom should a nonexpert believe about whether a COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective?

Sponsored Links
Believe the facts.
Most people who didn't get jabbed are still alive and had no side effect (as they didn't get jabbed).
Most of them had covid and a few died.
Most people who got jabbed had covid and many died.
As there's no difference in whether one is jabbed or not with the chance of dying, one might be inclined to believe the doctors and scientists who are against the jabbing for everyone.

If the tests of the vaccine excluded the effect it would have on pregnant women and pregnant women started showing signs of significant anomalies, then you wouldn't need to be Sherlock Holmes to draw a conclusion.

Sponsored Links
If the tests of the vaccine excluded the effect it would have on pregnant women and pregnant women started showing signs of significant anomalies, then you wouldn't need to be Sherlock Holmes to draw a conclusion.
Well...er...no amount of argument has persuaded you from your doubting stance on the efficacy of the vaccine, so i know it's pointless to try - kinda the point of the thread, no?

Whom should a nonexpert believe about whether a COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective?

I followed my 'gut instinct' after looking at the demographic of those dying from Covid & considering myself to have a very good chance of surviving if I caught it. I don't know if I caught it, the statistics say I did but I never noticed.

I remember that "The Great Barrington Declaration" had an early affect on my judgement . . . . Along with how those scientists were subsequently treated.

I don't tend to form my opinions on just what I see & hear in the MSM, likewise New Media. I tend to digest information from people & sources that I can respect.

When you ask "whom should a nonexpert believe about whether a COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective?" are you asking whether a nonexpert should make a linear choice, like between the yays & the nays? I tend to act upon only that information that I can TRUST & I certainly don't trust my politicians, the MSM, most of the gobshoits on diynot, & now my GP.

Believe the facts.
Most people who didn't get jabbed are still alive and had no side effect (as they didn't get jabbed).
Most of them had covid and a few died.
Most people who got jabbed had covid and many died.
As there's no difference in whether one is jabbed or not with the chance of dying, one might be inclined to believe the doctors and scientists who are against the jabbing for everyone.
One man's factsheet is another man's FAKE NEWS. How do you decide?

Well...er...no amount of argument has persuaded you from your doubting stance on the efficacy of the vaccine, so i know it's pointless to try - kinda the point of the thread, no?
There are clues you know, when a government gives indemnity to the drug companies that make the vaccines and say they'll pick up the tab, then you know nothing's going to be an open and shut case.
History tells you that.

There are clues you know, when a government gives indemnity to the drug companies that make the vaccines and say they'll pick up the tab, then you know nothing's going to be an open and shut case.
History tells you that.
The Oxycontin scamdal in the States gives me all the evidence i need about the way government and pharmaceutical companies do business at the expense of the patient consumer: do they get away with this behaviour because they know we can't do anything about it? We need medications, after all.

In the wake of the Financial crash in 2008, governments agreed something needed to be done about tax evasion and offshore accounts, yet nothing is done. Why?

I don't tend to form my opinions on just what I see & hear in the MSM, likewise New Media. I tend to digest information from people & sources that I can respect.
So what people and sources that you trust did you get your information from?

Sponsored Links
Back