Why Do Imperial Sockets Sometimes Fit Better On A Metric Vehicle?

Great recommendation for the 6 sided flank/face sockets. Not aware of these. May be worth building up a small collection of the common sized metric ones that are used on my van.

Are impact sockets usually 6 sided? I could do with a decent set of impacts. And a rechargeable impact gun to go with them. Just as well Xmas is just around the corner.

While I'm on the subject of rechargeable battery impact drivers, can you set the torque on these?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Great recommendation for the 6 sided flank/face sockets. Not aware of these. May be worth building up a small collection of the common sized metric ones that are used on my van.

Are impact sockets usually 6 sided? I could do with a decent set of impacts. And a rechargeable impact gun to go with them. Just as well Xmas is just around the corner.

While I'm on the subject of rechargeable battery impact drivers, can you set the torque on these?

Yes, all impact sockets (at least, all the ones I've ever seen!) are 6-sided. And yes, you can set the torque on any reasonable electric impact wrench, but I don't have any experience of those, as I use an old air one.

I have two battery wrenches, neither of them have torque control.
One of them is about twenty years old but, the other is only two years old.

I have two battery wrenches, neither of them have torque control.
One of them is about twenty years old but, the other is only two years old.
I've had a few, current 1 is Sealey. None of the ones I've had have been adjustable, but they are pretty good for use away from a compressor.

Only advice is don't go for a cheap 1. It's amazing how much difference just a few nm's makes.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps the bolts are 7/16" UNF or UNC, in which case 5/8" AF would be correct. 16mm AF is not the right size for any metric bolt - M8 - 13mm, M10 - 17mm, M12 - 19mm. Though on vehicles they sometimes use non-standard head sizes for some reason.
Tell the French about 16mm heads. They tend to use them a lot.

And the Japanese (and thus, some Rover / Landrover products), also seem to use 15mm-headed metric fasteners.
It seems there are various standards for head size, not all different. I found attached table. Then there are specials, I had a Mondeo with front caliper bolts M10, with 13mm AF heads (before rust!). With M8, I've found 13mm AF is usually a sloppy fit, and 1/2" is better.

Attachments

• Bolt AF.pdf
    7.5 KB · Views: 79
1/2" is 12.7 mm so I can sometimes get a 1/2" socket on a worn 13mm metric fastener.

The Torx drive eliminates all the disadvantages of the classic Phillips drive [such as] cam-out effect,
Curious; Phillips are designed to cam out, so they can be used where it's desirable to have more reliable release after driving (e.g. in industrial process, or in screw guns for drywall screws)

If one doesn't want cam-out, that's what Pozi are for

Stivino said:

The Torx drive eliminates all the disadvantages of the classic Phillips drive [such as] cam-out effect,

Those are not my words. They are the words of Stahlwille, who are experts in the field.

Sponsored Links
Back