Thermecon 60/80 oil boiler, Ecoflam Minor1, Delta VM1

Thanks everyone. I can only guess how frustrating it is for professionals to hear what a DIYer is up to. I appreciate your help.

Burnerman - it's always the wrong time of year that the boiler goes wrong. If I could have got an engineer out in time I'd have gladly done so but NYE is even more wrong timing-wise. Everyone around here is either uncontactable, on hols, too busy, or doesn't do oil. I have to admit to secretly enjoying the experimenting and learning a bit about burners.

Exedon - As far as I know, it's only ever had domestic heating oil. 11 bar, set at factory, is what it says in the oil-thumbed Ecoflam book that the previous home-owner kept in a plastic wallet for me. It's a comfort to hear that a new burner is not an extravagant indulgence.

oilhead - exactly that - I had nothing to lose, but would never expect something so finely engineered to be pulled apart amongst the crud in our boiler room. I felt almost guilty when I had the controller's guts exposed in there. Fettling for fun got me going while waiting for an engineer and made me super pleased with myself - I worked out it was April 2021 and it's been fine since, until the latest oil delivery.

I should be picking up a new burner later today. I'll update once the fire brigade have left.

Sponsored Links
It's warm in here.

I picked up the Ecoflam Max1 from Wolseley this afternoon, £408 inc vat. It's quite a bit lighter that the old Minor. I was impressed to find it pre-primed and to see a little singeing on the burner tube suggesting a test. 1-pipe set-up out of the box, thankfully.

It comes with a 0.55/80S nozzle and some recommended starter settings. The air settings have a helpful number visible through a little window to tell you where you are; recommended position 3, set already to 4, so I went for 3.5. Firing head recommended setting is position 1, but I couldn't find anywhere to actually indicate which position it is at, so I left it alone. Factory pressure 10 bar.

The wiring connector comes with an option for external lamps which I ignored, and for some reason a couple of terminals need a jumper fitted (it didn't work without - I tried).

There's always a bit of a nervous wait when the power goes back on because my Nest thermostat takes a while to reconnect...

There's now a red-backlit microswitch behind a little plastic panel to press instead of the old orange balloon (with all those intricate mechanics behind it) on the old controller. I gave it an anxious prod and Bingo! Worked a treat 1st time. There's even a tiny porthole window to see the flame. It might be my imagination, but the radiators feel hotter so I've turned down the boiler thermostat from 75 to 70 and they're better. I can rest my hand on the boiler flue, but it's hot.

Waiting for a call back from a pro to confirm a time to come and sniff/tweak/tut-tut next week. I thought I'd shed a tear or two for Old Faithful after getting to know it so intimately, but not a bit of it.

Thanks to all for taking the time to post patient and helpful replies. I might have to take my jumper off. Anyone want an clean old burner that might need a new pump?

Mike

Many thanks for the update, here’s hoping all’s cosy now but do get the thing properly commissioned before too long!
I do like to experiment with these things, and I have a spare burner for both of my properties.....one is an Inter 10 and the other a Worcester B9A. Both came from eBay, a new pump and nozzle on each and I can swap them over in 20 mins.
A pressure gauge is a cheap must, but at least it tells you if the pump can attain the required pressure.
Regards
John
Just as a PS, I’m converting both burners to work on a Satronic 832 control box as the Inter 10 came from the Ark - dead easy, box, base and photocell for £50.
J.

Last edited:
I know you're now sorted, but just my 2p worth.
You say you checked coil wires, but did you check the coil itself?

Sponsored Links
Hi roguetrader, the short answer is no.
The longer answer is that (some) oil was getting through; I could “feel” it working with my fingers, and I tried removing the weight from inside the valve.
Seems a distant memory already. Lovely and warm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back