Why does metal smell of metal?

AdamW said:
Slugbabydotcom said:
Do the same with gold for example which doesnt react with anything [inert] and it will not taste of anything.

Unless you are an Alien, their blood is concentrated acid so perhaps their spit is aqua regia? ;)

I'm wondering if maybe one of the reasons people went from copper jewellery to gold jewellery is because of it making their hands (and hence food) taste funny?

Aqua Regia !! Tincture of Bat, Sulphate of Potash, Nux Vomica !!

If you want to taste silver, eat a lemon meringue pie with silver cutlery, that'll make your face implode !!

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
If you want to taste silver, eat a lemon meringue pie with silver cutlery, that'll make your face implode !!

images

jbonding said:
i was told wether its true or not if you put coppers in your mouth after being stopped for drink driving .....

Apologies for the second innuendo of the day, but are you sure it means 1p and 2p pieces ?

jtaunton said:
jbonding said:
i was told wether its true or not if you put coppers in your mouth after being stopped for drink driving .....

Apologies for the second innuendo of the day, but are you sure it means 1p and 2p pieces ?

Thankyou for your spesemen sir, now drive along... :confused:

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
I've heard that one too. I suspect it was "invented" because copper can be used as a catalyst to dehydrogenate ethanol. However, I would have thought that, like many catalysts for such reactions, the copper would need to be REALLY hot.

So you could always keep some coins on the engine block and chuck them in your gob if you are pulled. :LOL:

Also, I reckon if I tried to put some copper coins in my mouth whilst sober, I would gag. So perhaps it makes you yak?

Trouble is, breathalysers don't detect ethanol, they detect acetone (ethanone) the by product of the chemical reaction of alcohol with your digestive juices. Still don't know about the copper thing though, sounds a bit dubious.

Back