Why is anything bigger than a 3-Gang socket a converter?

If it is hidden behind the plethora of gadgets I have used a section of 100x50 and as many sockets as required

Sponsored Links
Partly - note that all 3 way and above items have a fuse in the front plate, limiting the total load to 13A.
The other reason is lack of demand - very few people would want a 6 or 8 way item permanently in the wall.

If the TV and whatever is to be placed on an item of furniture, the neater way is to get one of these: http://cpc.farnell.com/brennenstuhl/1951183100/extension-socket-8-way-black-3m/dp/PL14405
and fix it to the back of the cabinet / table or whatever, with a single lead to the wall outlet. The cables can then be kept tidy on the back of the cabinet rather than trailing all over the floor, and it's easy to unplug the whole lot with a single lead so it can be moved for cleaning or whatever.

I did the same, 6 way extension that has keyhole slots in the back, mounted it on the back of our TV cabinet.

With TV, surround, Blu-ray etc it doesn't come anywhere near 13amps over all 6..

I hate them! They are very expensive, you only gain 1 socket! and the dam thing has a fuse.

Better to fit 2 doubles!

Sponsored Links
I did this.

The sockets are all separated using 20mm couplers and bushes. The USB socket has been fantastic, as it allowed connection of the Amazon Fire stick and Now TV stick without using up a socket. I only wish I'd installed a second one now.

To the left is a 65mm square drainpipe I buried in the wall, which comes out behind the Tv above (I have 225mm solid walls so it's fine)

The 3 other boxes have since had data ports fitted, some back to a patch panel and some direct to another room for HDMI connectivity.

Attachments

• unnamed-5.jpg
    unnamed-5.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 101

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back