Why is Land-Rover still such an unreliable marque ?

Thankfully I don’t have anything to do with this motor, but it was me who diagnosed the lack of Haldex.
Curiously enough I thought the Haldex only concerned itself with engaging 4wd as required.
I was wrong.....with no Haldex the torque steer is quite remarkable, which surprised me for such a large vehicle.
John :)

I whipped my Haldex unit out, drained and cleaned it, fitted a new filter and fresh oil at 50k. Drilled and tapped the diff casing to fit a magnetic drain plug and did an axle oil change as well as doing a fluid change on the auto box too at around the same mileage.

Sponsored Links
Only an oil change for the latest Haldex.....but you do get a new drain and filler plug as part of the kit for some reason o_O
John :)

Sponsored Links
I personally am a big fan of LR and have never had any issues.

Freelander 2 owned for 8 years ish and put nearly 100k miles in that time. Pure work horse, no job it wasn't up to. Reluctantly sold it this time last year and after all the abuse I gave it still got 1/5 of what i paid for it back again and it was 18 years old.

Range Rover Vogue owned for 5 years now with nothing other than minor issues expected of a used car. Lovely car to drive.

I honestly believe that a lot of the bad press is due to people buying them and then not maintaining them properly but still expecting them to run fault free with no TLC. I am looking forward to buying another to replace the current one when funds are available.

Jeremy Clarkson said the same thing. He had one

Odd though the Aussies live them for their reliability, and they do put some miles on them..

Well, this is its last MOT, (sold 10 years ago) I'd say it's toast.

"Mileage
145,575 miles
MOT test number
6808 7872 5047
Test location
View test location
Repair immediately (major defects):
Offside Rear Vehicle structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced (6.1.1 (c) (i))"

Freelander 2 owned for 8 years ish and put nearly 100k miles in that time. Pure work horse, no job it wasn't up to. Reluctantly sold it this time last year and after all the abuse I gave it still got 1/5 of what i paid for it back again and it was 18 years old.
You did well, they've only been out for 14 years! You sure it was a Freelander 2?

A bloke up the streets new Range Rover shut down outside our house, I offered to tow him back but apparently the gearbox locks up requiring a flatbed.

All makes have their lemons, just look at my Ford MK2 Kuga gearbox debacle, that gearbox was fitted from 2008 to 2014 with an horrendous failure rate!.

Volvo for us next with an Aisin Warner "proper" auto.

Well it's interesting to get a lot of positive comments from LR owners, but it makes one wonder why these reports (usually from warranty companies ) are so negative. I imagine that they only insure relatively recent models.

My only involvement with LR was as a student when I had a holiday job spraying RAF airfields with weed-killer, with all the equipment mounted on a LWB Defender: had one broken half-shaft during six weeks and was told it was a frequent occurrence.

Personally I would never consider one because of their reputation, spares cost and complexity ruling out many independent garages for work: but then my universe of choice is pretty narrow in that it consists of GM/Ford, petrol, manual and 1.8 to 2.O engines.

Just because there is a few good eggs doesn't change the general consensus and proof (which is what the reliability tables are based on) that by and large they are not reliable.

Especially when you take into account how few they sell compared to the likes of BMW etc

A bloke up the streets new Range Rover shut down outside our house, I offered to tow him back but apparently the gearbox locks up requiring a flatbed.

All makes have their lemons, just look at my Ford MK2 Kuga gearbox debacle, that gearbox was fitted from 2008 to 2014 with an horrendous failure rate!.

Volvo for us next with an Aisin Warner "proper" auto.
theres a lever inside under the selector panel that release the gearbox and allows it to be towed.

Well it's interesting to get a lot of positive comments from LR owners, but it makes one wonder why these reports (usually from warranty companies ) are so negative. I imagine that they only insure relatively recent models.

My only involvement with LR was as a student when I had a holiday job spraying RAF airfields with weed-killer, with all the equipment mounted on a LWB Defender: had one broken half-shaft during six weeks and was told it was a frequent occurrence.

Personally I would never consider one because of their reputation, spares cost and complexity ruling out many independent garages for work: but then my universe of choice is pretty narrow in that it consists of GM/Ford, petrol, manual and 1.8 to 2.O engines.
my mates got a vx mokka or something equally hideous. the clocks went berserk recently. £1600 between everything.
and it’s a common fault apparently.

theres a lever inside under the selector panel that release the gearbox and allows it to be towed.
I wouldn’t like to be in a new Range Rover being flat towed - you'll have virtually **** all steering or brakes! The release lever is just so that it can taken out of park and be pulled up onto a flat back.

I wouldn’t like to be in a new Range Rover being flat towed - you'll have virtually **** all steering or brakes! The release lever is just so that it can taken out of park and be pulled up onto a flat back.
I didn’t say i’d like it. I know what the mechanism is for , I own one.
It was just a suggestion as he said he only needed to get it back up the street.

Sponsored Links
Back