Why is there a large cement line joining to extension?

I would have extended the existing wall (with bricks recovered from elsewhere - presumably there's some kind of knockthrough) to butt up to the new wall and tied together with wall ties. Get rid of that horrible return made with the new bricks and hide the join in the corner.
So appreciate this as this is a very good point! Thanks mate

Sponsored Links
I would have extended the existing wall (with bricks recovered from elsewhere - presumably there's some kind of knockthrough) to butt up to the new wall and tied together with wall ties. Get rid of that horrible return made with the new bricks and hide the join in the corner.
It would have weakened that corner and provided little in structural or aesthetic gain. Butted with a wall starter is fine and strong enough. The main fault is the builders insistence in trying to keep up with the ridiculous existing joints. He should have set out in metric and gained an extra course on the house. That small return should have been about 10-15mm less when setting out.

It would have weakened that corner and provided little in structural or aesthetic gain. Butted with a wall starter is fine and strong enough. The main fault is the builders insistence in trying to keep up with the ridiculous existing joints. He should have set out in metric and gained an extra course on the house. That small return should have been about 10-15mm less when setting out.
This is the correct way of doing the job. It's lucky a dark mortar is being used, or the joints would be looking even bigger.

Sponsored Links
I thought toothing in was frowned upon now as the movement of the extension is likely to be different to that of the original house, causing toothing in to create a stress point resulting in cracking? Or am I talking nonsense?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back