Why is this happening to an oak table?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Please see pics, why is this happening? is it repairable, if yes how?
The sides are tilting downward. I haven't used the table since January, various plates, pans and dry food/can were on the table, just kitchen staff nothing heavy.

Thanks

IMG_5198.jpg
IMG_5198.jpg
IMG_5199.jpg
IMG_5200.jpg
IMG_5202.jpg
IMG_5203.jpg

Sponsored Links
complete guess as nothing seems obvious
i wonder iff with the leafs [wings] in and well loaded up the the leverage is forcing up the table middle and the fixing are not preventing the centre rising
it looks like a small gap above the large timber where the inner end off the legs on the leaf rest[pivot up]
perhaps even someone mucking about falling hard against the leaf

Last edited:
Is it worth taking it to pieces to rebuild? I took the screws of the small blocks but the blocks didn't budge, glued or something like t&g fixing?

Sponsored Links
i would try by putting the leaves on and getting someone to lean and see iff it lifts the cross beams underneath if so you need a way to prevent the beam moving and transferring the load to the top assuming my thought are correct as they may off course be miles out lol

Yes I think the leaves have caused it, I had one fitted and loaded with heavy plates was there for 10 months, seems pushed the middle up. Would placing heavy staff in the middle for few weeks/months repair it? Anything else I can try, may be clamps?

Last edited:
Yes I think the leaves have caused it, I had one fitted and loaded with heavy plates was there for 10 months, seems pushed the middle up. Would placing heavy staff in the middle for few weeks/months repair it? Anything else I can try, may be clamps?
yes weighing it down will help to relax the timbers to a normal position but you need to hold the weight by making sure that big heavy cross-beam holds the load and transfers it to the side rails

What sort of weight for a beam? around 20kg?

Will a sandbag for each beam do the job?

Last edited:
it probably just needs a few screws tightening up somewhere do those 2 screws in the block underneath go into the cross beam
any weight to flatten the table would be on the table top
if your using sand bags protect the top with plastic and old newspaper to avoid moisture or scratching

it probably just needs a few screws tightening up somewhere do those 2 screws in the block underneath go into the cross beam
any weight to flatten the table would be on the table top
if your using sand bags protect the top with plastic and old newspaper to avoid moisture or scratching
All screws are tight. The 2 screws in the blocks go into the cross beams, there are 5 beams.
Is it best to unscrew them when putting sand bags to allow relaxation of timber?
Sandbags will be placed on top of the table directly above beams?

is there a gap between the top off the cross beam and table top ?
you only need to touch the beams that the extension leaf legs touch/reach if the legs dont reach you wont get the weight levering onto that beam only the ones the legs touch

is there a gap between the top off the cross beam and table top ?
you only need to touch the beams that the extension leaf legs touch/reach if the legs dont reach you wont get the weight levering onto that beam only the ones the legs touch
I have put new pics, both sides of the table have same exact issue. The leaf was only at one end, there are gaps between beam and table top but only to fit a business card and only for up to 10cm per beam and not along the whole beam. So wondering if it's something else wrong?
ph5.jpg
ph4.jpg
ph3.jpg
ph2.jpg
ph1.jpg

the only other choice is the edge is drooping but theres not enough overhang to make that happen easily ???
so the only gap is 1mm on top??
any gap between the side block and the cross beam or indeed a shadow under the area off the block to suggest its moved up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back