Why so much Gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Im finishing a new house off and we have just had a gas bill come though.
I was shocked to see it was about £400 for 2 mounths which I thought was very exspensive. So I worked out how many units the boiler was using per day and it works out to be about 19 units.

My own house has the same underfloor heating with a potterton pro max HE boiler and I used over roughly the same peiod 7 units per day.

My father has a tarditional heating system with poor insulation and he uses about 9 units per day over the same peiod.

So what im asking is why would this boiler in the new house be using so much GAS?

INFORMATION

The house is about 2200 sq feet and has a polypipe underfloor heating. The boiler is a Ferroli HE 31 s

Sponsored Links
Is the meter based on actual readings? What about the last bill.

And what about the blasted boiler?

Our psychic powers are limited you know.

Yeah the meter was at 000 (new meter) cant remember actual reading but it was actual. And is first bill as new house meter etc.

Submit a meter reading and ask for an adjusted bill.

Are you sure they are not billing you advanced service charges or anything like that?

Sponsored Links
I dont think there is a problem with the bill as they are billing us from 0 to I think 750 units which was a reading we gave them.

My problem is why is this boiler using so much gas compared to my own house which is very similar.

as it is new build, I was wondering if the doors and windows have been left open, wet plaster and concrete to dry out, loft hatch open, other causes of energy waste?

Presumably the insulation and draughtproofing is done?

The house is all finished (carpets down etc) no windows left open or anything.

The other point is that as now one is living there at the moment there is no hot water use. So I cant understand why it uses so much gas.

We have turned the boiler off over night once to see if there was a leak but the meter never moved so it wasn't that its just the boiler using all the gas.

All the rooms have there own polypipe digi thermosats which are set to about 18 and the main programa is on constant.

All this is the same as my own house this is why I cant understand it.

The units its using are about 3 times the amount of my own house.

Could be a faulty meter.

Have you gas rated the boiler? count the consumption with the boiler running for 2 minutes flat out.

Hot water system?

First thing Monday the plan is to do a gas test on the boiler What do you think a average result should be for my system?

The system is a presureised one with a ferroli tank.

So I worked out how many units the boiler was using per day and it works out to be about 19 units.

My own house ... 7 units per day.

My father ... 9 units per day.

But are you using the same units in all cases? Some meters measure in units of cubic metres, others are in hundreds of cubic feet. It will say on the meter. You multiply hundreds of cubic feet by 2.83 to get cubic metres.

Make sure that the bill for the new house has not made the mistake of converting cubic feet to cubic metres, when the meter is already in cubic metres.

We have turned the boiler off over night once to see if there was a leak but the meter never moved so it wasn't that its just the boiler using all the gas.

Right, so you leave the heating on 24/7 and you wonder why it uses so much gas!

Do you really leave you heating overnight at your home?

Totally wasteful and unnecessary.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back