Why was my post removed

D

dextrous

Admin/moderator

I posted a name and shame thread on the forum last night. It was not advertising, nor abusing anyone. It was providing a public information service about traders to be highly wary of.

Having read the froum rules, it had not broken any of them, so why was it removed?

Sponsored Links
Dextrous, as mod3 has stated, there is no way to corroborate what would be posted in such a thread. This could result in false or misguided information being posted in a public forum. Without a 'right to reply' for the subject of such posts it could be classed as abuse.

The point is I can corroborate the misdoings of the person I refer to, as can Reading crown court, the insolvency agency, and my fellow tradesmen who were left holding the financial baby.

Moreover, I posted it in the trade talk section to warn fellow tradesmen and potential customers about a repeat offender who has demonstrated an unwillingness to change his ways. There is nothing preventing him from representing his side on this forum, and so your application of the term "abuse" does not apply.

Although this site is not dedicated to dealing with "rogue traders", I see nothing in your rules that disallow it, and I again repeat that since it is open to allcomers, the "right to reply" does fully exist.

Within many posts there are references/queries relating to the quality and professionalism of trader's work (including those who are not current members), and indeed to the quality of fittings and manufacturers. If you stand by your decision to prevent my name and shame thread to be posted and thus run, then by the same standard and logic you should remove and censor all such references to any criticism.

Your logic does not hold water.

I would have thought you could post a link to a local newspaper or radio story?

Sponsored Links
Any of the posts questioning the abilities/standard of workmanship may only be telling part of the picture, and may be telling one side of the story, and may be not telling the truth. You don't censor these, so you are being inconsistent in your approach. The person, manufacturer, company etc has an easy right to reply and give the other side of the story if they so wish.

John - a newspaper or radio link may not exist in many cases, and may end up being demonstrated as complete hogwash in due course. I don't see the mods withdraw any of these (now proven untrue) posts.

Personal experience, which is the whole basis upon which we post our responses, does exist, and naming and shaming is part of this sharing of information.

Mod - I abided by his decision totally. I provided details of the outcome of a legal process which is a summary of all sides of the argument. I added no further views of my own. This is no different to a link to a newspaper or radio article, or to (for example) building regulations. Are you going to be consistent and remove all links to factual documents too?

You have my contact details on file, and my arguments are written here. I'm not asking admin, I'm asking mod4 why (s)he is not working within the consistencies of owner's decision.

I don't have a problem, I'm asking for an explanation of the decision by him/her in light of admin's previous decision.In particular " there is no way to corroborate what would be posted in such a thread. This could result in false or misguided information being posted in a public forum."

He removed true and proven information, which was legally corroborarted

You could edit the post rather than delete the thread. Delete what has been written and leave an explanation. Simples :D

You could edit the post rather than delete the thread. Delete what has been written and leave an explanation. Simples :D

Exactly my thoughts in reply to:
one of the problems with the site, is that if a post is removed we are unable to leave a reason why it has been removed, which i can understand can lead to frustration.

Is it beyond you to delete the thread but then start another thread with the same title and the first and only post could read:

The posts in the thread entitled XYZ have all been removed because the thread was (reason for deletion).
Then lock it.

That way everyone knows what the hell is happening to threads that suddenly disappear.

Dear moderators (admin even), is this forum a phpbb based forum or written in php by yourselves?

The reason I ask that is because if it is phpbb then there are mods that can be added to make a lot of things like that possibly & quick to do.
Also if it is, its missing the copyright info at the bottom of the page :D

If is not, the mods that are available for phpbb should show how to do it & make your life easier anyway.

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:23 pm Comment:
If an individual post is removed a comment can be left. If the whole topic is deleted this isn't possible.

you could at least privatly message the person who is concerned

Sponsored Links
Back