Why You Don't Work Live

What do the Yanks know??

When they want a pee they "go to the bathroom" - that would cause them a problem in my house!

Sponsored Links
As Stated Electrocution means Dead.
Electrical Execution.
If you are Dead does that mean you are Dead past and point of possible revival - I think so. If you are capable of being revived then you are not dead.

Reminds me of a steak my sister in law made me, I wouldn't so much say it was undercooked but I thought "Mmm, a good vet could probably get this thing up and running again!"

As Stated Electrocution means Dead.
Electrical Execution.
If you are Dead does that mean you are Dead past and point of possible revival - I think so. If you are capable of being revived then you are not dead.

Do you not actually read previous posts before replying?!?!

Sponsored Links
"Do you not actually read previous posts before replying?!?!"

No I do

Even if the OED has capitulated to incorrect usage, a quick trawl through other online sources shows that Cambridge, Merriam-Webster, and several others still retain the proper definition.

Wasn't it the OED which came under fire from English professors a year or two ago for including a whole load of fleeting-usage slang terms?

"incorrect" "proper"

It is the duty of the lexicographer to report how words are used, and the meaning they are understood to have.

describing their former or historic meanings may be interesting, but you can't blame a dictionary for telling you what a word means in current usage.

You said "Do you NOT actually read previous posts before replying?!?!"

and I said "NO I do".

If you had actually said ""Do you actually read previous posts before replying?!?!"

Then I would have said "YES I do"

The Not changes the Yes to a No as in

"Yes we have no bananas"

Anyway if someone dies then is revived then does this mean they did not actually die by virtue of the fact they were reviveable?

"Yes we have no bananas"
A man went into a shop in the old Soviet era Russia.

"I don't suppose you've got any bread?"

"No - this is the shop that doesn't have any milk. The shop that doesn't have any bread is across the road."

You said "Do you NOT actually read previous posts before replying?!?!"

and I said "NO I do".

If you had actually said ""Do you actually read previous posts before replying?!?!"

Then I would have said "YES I do"

The Not changes the Yes to a No as in

"Yes we have no bananas"

Anyway if someone dies then is revived then does this mean they did not actually die by virtue of the fact they were reviveable?

:rolleyes:

Even if the OED has capitulated to incorrect usage, a quick trawl through other online sources shows that Cambridge, Merriam-Webster, and several others still retain the proper definition.

Wasn't it the OED which came under fire from English professors a year or two ago for including a whole load of fleeting-usage slang terms?

The global media and internet age we live in means that many more words are being created and usage is changing, probably on a scale never seen before and especially considering English is a huge international language. I would argue that Oxford is simply trying to keep up and the others are left in the dust. Loads of words and meanings from 100 years ago (or less) are totally of date and not used any more (although some persist).

I'm not happy that the significance of 'electrocution' is being diluted but unfortunately there's not much you can do about it if people start using it inappropriately, you end up becoming a pedant (eg lamp/bulb discussion with punter - no point explaining correct usage).

I'm not happy that the significance of 'electrocution' is being diluted but unfortunately there's not much you can do about it if people start using it inappropriately,
Yes there is - you can correct them each and every time they do it - you can choose to never let it go by.

you end up becoming a pedant
No - you end up being somebody with knowledge and skills and principles, taking a stand against ignorance and incompetence and the disgusting lack of interest in doing things properly.

no point explaining correct usage
There is every point. They are wrong and you are right.

It is your duty to teach them and their duty to learn.

The BAS philosophy — says it all

I'm not happy that the significance of 'electrocution' is being diluted but unfortunately there's not much you can do about it if people start using it inappropriately,
Yes there is - you can correct them each and every time they do it - you can choose to never let it go by.
you end up becoming a pedant
No - you end up being somebody with knowledge and skills and principles, taking a stand against ignorance and incompetence and the disgusting lack of interest in doing things properly.
no point explaining correct usage
There is every point. They are wrong and you are right.
It is your duty to teach them and their duty to learn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back