WI FI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My home pc is hard wired to my virgin bb.
I have a mobile phone that is wi fi compatable.
I have a virgin wireless router (still in the box).
What do I need to do so I can keep the pc hardwired, but connected the router so I can use the mobile phone.

Sponsored Links
For broad band there are three common ways to get it connected to your PC.
1) USB the box often called a modem although strictly speaking only dial up boxes are modems but it is designed to only connect one PC.
2) Through a NIC card or better know as a LAN card these have more connections then standard phone but look similar plugs and most routers (Name given to box which connects many PC's to internet) use this type of connection.
3) Same as above but wireless.

If your computer and router both have these sockets then it's a simple plug in job. Most wireless routers have at least one hard wired connection so you can set up wireless.

Unlike the "Modem" the Router does all the hand shaking with the provider and your details are normally entered into router using a web page connection. Once this is done any computer plugged in will have internet without re-entering details. AOL for many years were odd one out but think even they have adopted industrial standard now.

As to Wireless there are many ways to limit access.

Keeping it simple
Is it a case of taking the BB cable out of the pc pluging into the 'in' on the router.
Then take a cable out of the router back to the 'in' on the pc

Keeping it simple
Is it a case of taking the BB cable out of the pc pluging into the 'in' on the router.

Just tried as above..
phone can see the wirless internet
pc cant see the hard wire..any ideas

Sponsored Links
Well 3hrs later all working. No idea what I did that was different.

Keeping it simple

Yeah that's spot on is that!
Good effort for having a crack at it yourself ;)

Unlike the "Modem" the Router does all the hand shaking with the provider and your details are normally entered into router using a web page connection. Once this is done any computer plugged in will have internet without re-entering details. AOL for many years were odd one out but think even they have adopted industrial standard now.

As to Wireless there are many ways to limit access.
Sorry but that bit isn't right. Modems connect, whether logically or dial up, and peform the connection side of things (PPoE) whereas a router will only route traffic in a network.

Only routers with a modem can perform the handshaking otherwise a normal router will just see the provider as an extension of the network.

Only routers with a modem can perform the handshaking otherwise a normal router will just see the provider as an extension of the network.

Yup, I think the writer in the post you refer to must have been thinking of an ADSL router.

Yup, I think the writer in the post you refer to must have been thinking of an ADSL router.
Which still won't connect to the provider unless their is a modem somewhere in the mix to do the authentication.

It's an urban legend... somewhere along the way someone said "ADSL modems aren't modems!" and it's been absorbed into the general psyche of the internet.

A modem is used for modulating and demodulating digital information onto analogue carrier signals. So, a cable modem is a modem, an ADSL modem is a modem, a dial-up modem is a modem.

The key difference between an ADSL modem and a dial-up modem is that the latter is baseband, and the former is not. :idea:

Now, someone who is more of a pedant than me should be along soon to explain why a typical home "router" is not actually a router ;)

Why, if you already have internet via your PC and a router and modem. would you want to use your mobile to get on the internet??

Why, if you already have internet via your PC and a router and modem. would you want to use your mobile to get on the internet??

In my case, I have a new toy (internet access mobile phone).
In other cases I may have friend/relative who has also a mobile or a lap top.
Also if I want something quick, the phone dosnt need to boot up.

Just to muddy the water a bit more...

Why not get a windows mobile 6.5 phone and you can use that as a modem/router if your ADSL ever goes pear shaped...

Just to muddy the water a bit more...

Why not get a windows mobile 6.5 phone and you can use that as a modem/router if your ADSL ever goes pear shaped...

Does'nt that cost a small fortune?

Not on t-mobile.

My contract includes webnwalk pro which used to cost £7.50pm and allows you to use your phone as a modem, the "unlimited" d/l limit is a couple of gigs- more than enough for standard surfing until the ADSL is fixed.

Even on T-mob PAYG it is £1 per day (you are not supposed to use the phone as a modem but they wouldn't notice anyway).

Sponsored Links
Back