Wifi / home wireless networkconnected tank stats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two separate HW cylinders, a long way from the boiler programmer for wiring stats or using RF stats, but they are both within range of our wifi /wireless network connection. Programmer is also within range of the wifi.

I would like to set the cylinders up with wireless stats that will connect to the network.

Ideally the receiver at the programmer end will just act as a switch so that I don't have to change the existing programmer.

Also, because there are two cylinders, I only want the HW to turn off at the programmer when both tanks are hot. As sometimes only one tank will be in use, I really need stats that I can turn down to 0 degrees so that I can stop the tank not being used calling for heat by turning down the stat.

Would appreciate any advise from people who have experience of these.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you want control via the Internet you'll need a new programmer as well. Look at the Honeywell Evohome kit, that'll do everything you want

Bet Evo would work a treat, the only limitation being a single base unit can only control one hot water channel.

Can still be made to work, but careful planning is required.

If you want control via the Internet you'll need a new programmer as well. Look at the Honeywell Evohome kit, that'll do everything you want

Yes, I can see that will work, but a lot of expense and overkill for what I want. Maybe I'll have to work something out with RF stats after all. Does anybody know if you can get RF stats with relays to extend range?

And the other problem is finding an RF setup that will work with two cylinders....

Sponsored Links
but a lot of expense and overkill for what I want.
Wireless shenanigans usually are.

Maybe I'll have to work something out with RF stats after all. Does anybody know if you can get RF stats with relays to extend range?
Certainly could be done, with enough time and money spent on it. No point though as buying the ready made items would be cheaper and quicker.

The real answer is to have wired thermostats and a cable.

Forget the wi- fi network, just google for some wireless thermostats or sensors. Transmitter at the tank, receiver module at the controller. It may be cheaper to pull in cables.

More importantly, you should not be 'mothballing' a HW storage cylinder, it will be a legionella incubator. If it's not maintained at 60 degC+ almost-continuously, then you should take it out.

Forget the wi- fi network, just google for some wireless thermostats or sensors. Transmitter at the tank, receiver module at the controller. It may be cheaper to pull in cables.

More importantly, you should not be 'mothballing' a HW storage cylinder, it will be a legionella incubator. If it's not maintained at 60 degC+ almost-continuously, then you should take it out.

Interesting point you make about legionella. The cylinder in question is copper, pipework all copper. Temp of cylinder is always below 20 deg C when not in use and 60+ deg C when in use and a good flow through. I'm glad I looked into this and learnt about it, but having done so, do not feel that a cylinder that is not maintained at 60+ degC should be taken out.

Interesting point you make about legionella. The cylinder in question is copper, pipework all copper. Temp of cylinder is always below 20 deg C when not in use and 60+ deg C when in use and a good flow through. I'm glad I looked into this and learnt about it, but having done so, do not feel that a cylinder that is not maintained at 60+ degC should be taken out.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You have some really helpful comments Dan, thank you. The world is a much more pleasant place thanks to people like you.

How do you know that it is always below 20 degC if you don't monitor the temperature constantly? You asked about thermostats, not temperature sensors. If it's not in use, then how does the entire water volume get changed every 24 hours? The HSE have looked into this and that is their recommendation for cold water storage; take out excess capacity, i.e., anything that isn't turned over every 24 hours at most.

Copper plumbing has a negligible effect on legionella, the control is by the temperature regime.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back