will these downlights be ok in a 100mm ceiling void??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i have found some down lights to fit in my porch

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/QLDL35C.html

they require a minimum depth of 65mm, so is that the total depth of the light, or the depth required for the light and the air space required for cooling??

they are going in a plasterboard ceiling with a fiberglass roof above it with what looks like some sort of compressed wood strand insulation. The gap between the back face of the plasterboard and the bottom of this is 100mm.

i am only going to use 20w bulbs cos i am going to fit 2.

will this be ok?? cos these lights seem a bargain to me!!!

cheers

Sponsored Links
The depth of 65mm is due to the lamp and connector, that is how far it will stick into the ceiling void.
That only gives you 35mm between the back of the lamp connector and the ceiling/insulation above. That might be enough, but it depends on what the 'compressed wood strand insulation' actually is. If it is wood or some other flammable material, you need a lot more clearance.

Those lights are not such a good deal either - there is no lamp or transformer included. All you get is the lamp connector, a flimsy bit of pressed steel and two springs.

yeah i see what you mean

i need some which fit into this size ceiling void and will be ok as the missus has her mind made up on them!!!

the transformers i can get from work, and i could use the brakets they supply which are only 58p. so thats only £2.08 plus a lamp!

if i used low energy lamps would they kick off less heat??

cheers

Absoloutly.

CFL or LED lamps would be much better for something like this.

Also, how exposed is your porch? Is there a risk of moist air degrading the quality of the connections to the wiring, and the lamp to the lamp holder?

Sponsored Links
the porch is between the front door and the door into the front room so its not outside at all.

so i could get away with these lights, brackets and low energy/CFL/LED lamps in them in a 100mm roof void?? it was the heat which was my biggest worry!!

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back