Will this work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I am in no way confident at any type of building work but with a neighbour who knows a little we would like to try and fix an area of concrete to the side of my home.
We have an area of level concrete about 12ft x 16ft with an adjoining part on a slop of the same size.
The side of both parts about 3ft wide were dug out years ago for a channel and is now filled with soil and I would like to bring the levels up to the same height.
Filling the soil area is straight forward enough to bring it level with the concrete but I would like to lay some slabs on top but bringing the slopped area to a level height is where I'm getting stuck on.
I have been told that I can't just feather in the two at the correct height as where it is at it's thinist the concrete would eventually break up.
So could I bring the slop up to the same level but where it would normally feather it in use self leveling compound to join the two areas together, say an area of about 5mm deep and say the last foot before the meet, as I believe this can be used thinly without breaking.
I would like to use the area once it's all level to park a car on. The depth of the concrete at the moment is 4inch and I'm not physically capable of digging it all up.
Any advice would be really appreciated

Sponsored Links
Concrete doesn't stick very well to itself, anything under about 75mm thick won't stay stuck for long. Self levelling is expensive compared to just putting down fresh concrete.

As for removing it, hire a concrete breaker and it will come up easily. You could leave any concrete in place that's 100mm lower than the existing, score a deep line with an angle grinder, and break out the higher part.

A sledgehammer would also take care of business.

Thank you so much for the reply but breaking it up is not an option. I appreciate concrete doesn't stick too well to itself but have read it can be done using the right tools etc.
The amount of self leveling I need would be worth it ( in my humble opinion ) if it will work, I still don't know if it will.
Thank you again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back