Willis Water Heating System

That is 'going' somewhere in my book.
Fair enough, but I didn't think that's what EFLI was talking about, since he has been talking about the need to 'draw more water in' to replace water that has 'gone somewhere' - which obviously would not be necessary in the case of the glass of water.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That I agree with! It offers the ability to heat a much smaller amount of hot water than either an open vented gas boiler, or an immersion heater, but to make it more economical it's use needs to be continually planned in advance, or via an extensive program.
Exactly - and, as I've said, much the same could be achieved with the same (tedious) "... continually planned in advance, or via an extensive program." with a cylinder and a couple of immersions (upper one for low volumes and lower one for large volumes). The only difference is that, as bernard mentioned, the immersion method involves hot water rising from an immersion partially mixing with cooler water (which, at least for modest volumes, is not the case with Willis), but with two immersions to choose from, I really don't think that would be much of an issue.

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough, but I didn't think that's what EFLI was talking about, since he has been talking about the need to 'draw more water in' to replace water that has 'gone somewhere' - which obviously would not be necessary in the case of the glass of water.
How can it not be necessary? How can some water go somewhere if none replaces it?

How can it not be necessary? How can some water go somewhere if none replaces it?
It can't - that's why, unlike Harry (or yourself), I personally wouldn't say that any water had "gone" anywhere. Harry was talking about the 'tall glass experiment' I mentioned and, although hot water had 'risen up' from bottom to the top of the glass (and other water had fallen from top to lower), no water had 'gone' anywhere. The volume of water in the glass was unchanged, so no 'replacement' was required; two 'bits of water' had simply 'swapped places'.

As I said, I think this has changed from an interesting/stimulating discussion about the mechanism of the Willis system to one just about 'words' - since we both know exactly what is happening in the glass, and now probably also know exactly what is happening in the Willis system - and you are now merely raising issues about what words we use to describe those happenings which we understand.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
No it has not. Circulate means circulate no matter how slowly.

I cannot find anything on the web describing how the system works but one site said it would heat enough for a shower - 35 litres in ten minutes.

Are you suggesting that 35 litres in the top of the cylinder would be heated sufficiently with no water moving around

or would this be a flow through the Willis of 3.5 litres per minute?

OR

If left on continuously it would heat the whole cylinder without any flow of water?

No it has not. Circulate means circulate no matter how slowly.
As said, this is all about words. We have to accept that you and I have different understandings of "circulate". To me, it means 'to continuously go around and around (a circuit/loop) in 'circles' " - as in CH, car cooling, refrigerator, the human blood "circulation" etc. - and I would not use the word to refer to movement of a fraction of 'one circuit' (of a circuit/loop). To you, it seems to mean any movement, however little, within a circuit/loop, even if a lot less than 'one circuit'. I think we have to live with that difference between us.
I cannot find anything on the web describing how the system works ...
I think that (at last!) I now more-or-less understand how the system works.
...but one site said it would heat enough for a shower - 35 litres in ten minutes.
Seemingly about 4.5 litres/5 minutes (0.9 litres/minute) for a 3 kW Willis. That corresponds pretty well to 'energy calculations'. Your suggested 35L in 10 mins would not work for a 3 kW heater - that would imply that I could heat my 140 L cylinder in just 40 mins whereas, in reality, with a 3 kW immersion it takes about 2.5 hours. I previously posted the following, which you will find more-or-less identically for many products ...

A Willis Immersion heats approximately 4.5 litres of water to a high temperature every 5 minutes, so if one can decide before switching on how much water is required the pre-heating time can be calculated as follows:
  • 4.5 litres for hand-washing, baby’s bath, shaving, breakfast dishes etc. = Pre-heat for 5 minutes
  • 9 litres required for washing-up dinner dishes, medium sized clothes wash = Pre-heat for 10 minutes
  • 9–14 litres required for a shower = Pre-heat for 10/15 minutes
  • 54 litres required for a bath = Pre-heat for 1 hour
Are you suggesting that 35 litres in the top of the cylinder would be heated sufficiently with no water moving around
Not "without water moving around", but nor with what I would call 'circulation'. Heated water will rise out of the Willis at the rate of about 0.9 L/minute. That hot water, necessarily 'at the top' of the loop/circuit (since it is hot that all other water) 'pushes down' ('gravity', if you wish) on the water in the cylinder, causing 0.9 L/min of cold water to exit the bottom of the cylinder and return to the Willis - what you call 'drawing in' more cold water. After 10-15 minutes, 9 - 13.5 litres (per above quote, not your "35L") of hot water will be at the top of the cylinder and, of course (since its an essentially 'closed' system (give or take the expansion pipe, to which nothing happens), the same volume of cold water will have "moved" from bottom of cylinder to Willis. If it were a 140L cylinder, then this would effectively mean that about 10% of 'one circuit' of what you would call 'circulation' had occurred in 15 minutes.

I think that I would personally have found this much simpler to visualise/conceptualise if the feed from Willis to cylinder entered the cylinder a small distance below the top of the cylinder. The hot water from the Willis would then rise up to the top of the cylinder, and the fact that (hot) water had entered the cylinder would force some cold out of the bottom and back to the Willis. However, the actual situation is not very far from that.
... or would this be a flow through the Willis of 3.5 litres per minute?
As above, our figures differ - per the one's I've cited, it would be 0.9 L/min - but only until a total of 9-14 L (<10% of contents of a 140 L cylinder) had 'flowed'.
If left on continuously it would heat the whole cylinder without any flow of water?
It would certainly eventually heat the whole cylinder, with (if there were no heat losses) 'water movement' simply being a scaled-up version of the figures above - and eventually a total of approaching one 'circuit' of what you would call 'circulation'.

However, as I wrote earlier, when one gets to heating large volumes (say, requiring more than 10-15 mins heating), things get more complicated since, as in a conventional cylinder+immersion, some of the heated water will cool and fall to the bottom of the cylinder to be sent back to the Willis for re-heating. If a lot of that happens (due to poorly insulated cylinder), then there might be (what I would call) 'true circulation' for a 'circuit' or three.

Kind Regards, John

Kind Regards, John

...and that is exactly what does happen, there is an actual flow of water out of the top of the Willis and from the bottom of the cylinder, into the bottom of the Willis to replace it. A circulation, as a result of the convection.

...and that is exactly what does happen, there is an actual flow of water out of the top of the Willis and from the bottom of the cylinder, into the bottom of the Willis to replace it. A circulation, as a result of the convection.
As I've said, what matters to me is that I have come to understand how the Willis system works, and I'm not particularly interested in a discussion about the 'words', and nor do I find that useful. On the contrary, it was all the talk (hence my thinking) about 'convection' and 'circulation' that resulted it in it taking be so long to come to an understanding of the Willis system.

The fact that water heated by the Willis rises is, indeed, literally a manifestation of 'convection'. However, none of the other movement of water is 'due to convection', other than as a secondary consequence of that rising water - there is no 'circulation by convection' (due to heating/rising/cooling/falling cycles) in the sense that we usually see it - such as in rooms, heating vessels or the atmosphere etc.

Kind Regards, John

The fact that water heated by the Willis rises is, indeed, literally a manifestation of 'convection'. However, none of the other movement of water is 'due to convection', other than as a secondary consequence of that rising water - there is no 'circulation by convection' (due to heating/rising/cooling/falling cycles) in the sense that we usually see it - such as in rooms, heating vessels or the atmosphere etc.

I'm simply bowing out of this thread, it has gone on far too long.

Very wise :) This thread which I started was very interesting and intriguing until, after the intrigue had been resolved, it turned into a series of exchanges about 'words'!

Note :- I did not concede that you were correct in your misunderstanding of convection currents :)

Note :- I did not concede that you were correct in your misunderstanding of convection currents :)
I thought you had 'bowed out' :)

I don't think it's really about 'correct' and 'incorrect' (except perhaps in terms of 'dictionary definitions'). As I've said, it's just that we have different ways of normally interpreting "convection currents" (and associated words), and that the Willis system does not involve such currents in the sense that I usually think of that concept. ... but "vive la difference"!

I now feel able to describe how the Willis system works without explicitly using words like "convection", "circulation", "currents", "loops", "drawing in" etc. etc. - and, at least when in 'mixed company', that's probably the safest thing for me to do :)

Kind Regards, John

Have just read this thread with interest, even if a little old.
I know of one (3kw) installation used in conjunction with a solar PV diverter, pipework is all 3/4" (22mm). The heater stat kept switching out once the element was energized for ~ 10 minutes, eventually a pipe stat was installed just on the heater outlet. set to 70C, the heater stat is set to 65C which operates at a heater flow temp of ~ 85C (new stat also tried) the dT through the heater is ~ 47C because the pipe stat switches when the heater inlet from the cylinder reaches 23C which means a flow rate of 0.92LPM @ 3kw, not really surprising I suppose since I reckon the circulating force is ~ 0.0152M (0.6ins) per M of circulaing height. I wonder how any of them work successfully with the recommended 15mm heater outlet piping.

Dare I ask this then?
I have just read the whole of this thread from start to finish and my head is spinning.

If we had a system say a Willis and the small cylinder containing the immersion heater is mounted substantially lower than the main cylinder (rather similar to a two floor terraced house with a back boiler on the ground floor and the main cylinder on the first floor) then would that substantially change the working principle of the Willis set up??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back