Win 10 updates - fail.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a new Win10 laptop this year, but since I bought it, it I don't recall it ever downloading or installing any updates at all and I am guessing it should have done. Control Panel / Updates, suggests it is doing regular checks for updates, but that is all it is doing.

Another issue is that it says it is suitable for W11, but I have been unable to get it to update to Win11.

Its says Win10 Installed 07/04/2021 , Build 19043.1288

I've tried various suggested fixes I've found on the web, with no result.

Sponsored Links
One suggestion might be to go into Add Remove programs and switch to features, then try removing an unwanted feature and see if that errors out, then try the updates again
They are gigs in size, so can need device left connected to reliable Internet for many hours

One suggestion might be to go into Add Remove programs and switch to features, then try removing an unwanted feature and see if that errors out, then try the updates again
They are gigs in size, so can need device left connected to reliable Internet for many hours

I know, my other Win10 laptop has done a few since I bought this new one.

I have just tried removing Xbox Live, there were no problems with that.

Although it says w10 is up to date, Clicking the check for updates button below it, produces an 'Error encountered' with a Retry button appearing.

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
You're lucky.
Windows 10 keeps nagging me to update, but as long as the computer continues to work perfectly I don't want to update.
It also reminds me every so often that my computer is suitable for 'upgrading' to W11. Again, I'm happy as things are so I ignore it.
I do, however download Windows Defender upgrades whenever offered.

That laptop is now failing to fully boot, after trying various fixes from the web. It just end Win10 bootup, with a task bar along the bottom edge, black everywhere else and the screen flashing on and off. I'm now trying a reinstall - using my old Acer in the meantime.

It has now managed to fully boot and is now updating itself at last, after setting it up to do a reinstall of the entire OS. It must have done this from some sort of hidden partition or file already on it's HDD, because I tried selecting the option to repair via a fresh download of windows, which it suggested it could not do, because it had no web access.

I opted to leave my personal files in place, but there was no option to keeps all of the apps - so later the monster job of reinstalling all of the missing apps..

Last edited:
You're lucky.
Windows 10 keeps nagging me to update, but as long as the computer continues to work perfectly I don't want to update.
It also reminds me every so often that my computer is suitable for 'upgrading' to W11. Again, I'm happy as things are so I ignore it.
I do, however download Windows Defender upgrades whenever offered.

All the basic Win10 install including updates, seemed to be fine and its check of suitability for Win 11 confirmed it was suitable so I went for it. It got to the point of actually installing, but failed complaining of 'unable to update the reserved partition'..

Anyone found a workaround for that?

All the basic Win10 install including updates, seemed to be fine and its check of suitability for Win 11 confirmed it was suitable so I went for it. It got to the point of actually installing, but failed complaining of 'unable to update the reserved partition'..

Anyone found a workaround for that?

I can't say that I've seen that, but whenever I open the Windows Update reminder, I see:

"Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in

When I click to "review the licence terms" I really have no idea what they're talking about.
The one thing I do know is that MS are pushing their Office 365 thing which is, of course, something that requires a regular payment to use. I'm happily using my old Office 2007 which works perfectly and I don't feel inclined to pay MS for anything I don't need.

Sorry I can't help with your question.

No problem..

I don't know if this has any bearing on it, but it's an OPTANE drive system, which is some sort of combined SDD and HDD.

Did you mean 'SSD'? Probably going off at a tangent, but I have separate SSD and HDD in my laptop, but I don't think that mine is Optane.

I'm afraid I don't understand much about the details of how Windows Updates work, but I do believe in "leave well enough alone"!

Did you mean 'SSD'? Probably going off at a tangent, but I have separate SSD and HDD in my laptop, but I don't think that mine is Optane.

I'm afraid I don't understand much about the details of how Windows Updates work, but I do believe in "leave well enough alone"!

Yes, one of those dubberies which speeds system file loadings up. I would have avoided Win 11, except fresh Win10 install is a good time to tackle it and what all the fuss is about.

It has now managed to fully boot and is now updating itself at last, after setting it up to do a reinstall of the entire OS. It must have done this from some sort of hidden partition or file already on it's HDD, because I tried selecting the option to repair via a fresh download of windows, which it suggested it could not do, because it had no web access.

I opted to leave my personal files in place, but there was no option to keeps all of the apps - so later the monster job of reinstalling all of the missing apps..

Is this due to the problem with internet access?

If something else, hopefully there will be someone more expert on here than I who can help you.

Is this due to the problem with internet access?

If something else, hopefully there will be someone more expert on here than I who can help you.

It managed to successfully rebuild Win10 from the files it already had stashed on its HDD, in recovery. The recovery system is a sort of DOS version, with no Wifi so no means to access the Internet to download Win10 - so I am not sure why it offered it.

Once Win10 was installed, it had the wifi and had retained the settings. I am typing this on my 'problem' laptop.

It managed to successfully rebuild Win10 from the files it already had stashed on its HDD, in recovery. The recovery system is a sort of DOS version, with no Wifi so no means to access the Internet to download Win10 - so I am not sure why it offered it.

Once Win10 was installed, it had the wifi and had retained the settings. I am typing this on my 'problem' laptop.

All sorted then. Well done.

Sponsored Links
Back