Window frame void space and roller blind installation disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Sixties property, recently installed new window.
Window fitters removed the blind and put it back but screw were loose and roller blind about to fall off.
I drilled a new hole to fit raw plugs but made a mess. I realised the wall above the window got a big void (not an expert).
How to fix this big hole? Should I inject mortar (if yes dunno how to do it) or rather inject expanding foam? How to make it good with lining paper / sanding / painting?

Attached few pictures of the DIY disaster.. :(

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_1266.jpg
    IMG_1266.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1269.jpg
    IMG_1269.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 262
Sponsored Links
Replacing windows can expose weaknesses/voids in the plaster and around the frame.

Fixing the blind to the top (horizontal) side of the reveal might be an alternative if the plaster there is solid.

The large hole could then be repaired by screwing, and then plastering over, a wooden batten to the inside of the hole, like on this video (there are many others):

That won't be load bearing so you could try a deep filler if you decide to fix the blind in the same location as before. I have used this (link below) around window frame voids to good effect. It is supposed to be built up in sections but that is difficult when you are applying it vertically. I have managed two/three inches in total depth but it needed time to dry out properly

https://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-big-hole-ready-mixed-wall-filler-grey-1-2ltr/95289

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back