Window with no lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just had a small window put in by a builder and i just noticed that the window doesn't have a lintel. I asked the builder why he didn't put a lintel in and he said that the brick work was English bond and want go anywhere plus the PVC window that went in was load bearing. Does this sound right, it seems to me that if your going to cut a hole in brickwork you need to support the top in some way.

Sponsored Links
How small is small?

It just depends if it's the builders experience or wallet which is doing the talking

Sponsored Links
Probably mostly self supporting then, but its a case of judging everyone on its merits.

Did he charge as if for putting a lintol in?

Builder you say :rolleyes: did he bring his horse “Trigger” or leave it at home in the corral! :LOL: Your fears are well founded I'm afraid; not only is your building work in breach of Building Regulations by having no lintel (of some form), the opening & lintel should have been inspected before the window was fitted.

In addition, unless he’s registered with FENSA & issued you with a certificate of compliance, you should have had the window & installation inspected in order that your LABC can issue you with a certificate of compliance. Without this, both your building work & the window installation will be regarded as non-compliant.

up to a certain span brickwork is self supporting.

even on larger spans the danger is sometimes confined to a triangle of bricks above the window.

...but...

...he should have installed a lintel regardless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back