windows vista

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,
i have a slight problem with my laptop, it sarted coming up with a blue screen saying something about new hardware or something causing windows to crash, then the computer would restart saying insert boot disk. once this had come up all you could do was restart the computer as everytime you pressed anything it just said "insert boot disk and press any key" now it wont even load windows, it come up with start in safe mod etc and which ever one you choose it starts but the restarts as soon is windows shows its loading up! then back to square one. i've tryed doing the restore way using the restore on the hard drive and this dosnt work, is there any chance someone could give me abit of advise as i need tro try and save as much as i can from on the computers hard drive! any help would be much appricated? thank you

Sponsored Links
try booting it with the wireless turned off

probs restore to a point where its done a driver update as well

I can't even seem to get it to load at all, it starts then asks how to tart windows etc and no matter which one you select it trys to load it then stops and restarts! Then back to square one so it's just like a circle and now it's a expensive big paper weight!

have you tried turning the wireless switch off?

ive seen it loads of times where it boots without the wireless turned on, worth a try

if not press F5 & F8 alternatively when its first tuned on and you should get a black screen about safe mode etc, try startup repair if its available, if not boot into safe mode and then try system restore from safe mode

Sponsored Links
you have the famous BSOD, blue screen of death

Very rare does one of these fault get resolved with investigation, the time it would take in comparison to a re-install is quite a difference

in industry the laptop would get wiped and windows re-installed, but your option is different as you have said you need files off the drive

only way to get these files is to piggy back the hard drive into a PC, for this u needa laptop to IDE connector

http://www.techdose.com/projects/Converting-a-Virgin-Webplayer-into-a-PC/141/images/ideconverter.jpg

your laptop drive shows up as same as a pen drive would in my computer, then drag off your files and put your drive back into the laptop and do a fresh install of windows

as a rule I dont have any files on my windows C drive, all my pictures documents music film apps are on 2 other drives inside my PC

hope this helps

Thank you for your help think I am just going to piggy back it onto my tower pc, then wipe it and re-install bug not vista this time! Am going to have to buy windows 7, do you the cheapest place I can get it? So who exactly starts these then, I've never been able to understand why...what do they gain from it!

Very rare does one of these fault get resolved with investigation, the time it would take in comparison to a re-install is quite a difference

in industry the laptop would get wiped and windows re-installed, but your option is different as you have said you need files off the drive

only way to get these files is to piggy back the hard drive into a PC, for this u needa laptop to IDE connector

http://www.techdose.com/projects/Converting-a-Virgin-Webplayer-into-a-PC/141/images/ideconverter.jpg

your laptop drive shows up as same as a pen drive would in my computer, then drag off your files and put your drive back into the laptop and do a fresh install of windows

as a rule I dont have any files on my windows C drive, all my pictures documents music film apps are on 2 other drives inside my PC

hope this helps

If your laptop came with Vista new then it will most likely have an SATA drive and not require an adapter. No guarantee your desktop will have SATA, however.

The easiest method would be to get a 2.5" PATA/SATA enclosure and connect via USB. You can then easily buy a new 2.5" drive to go in the enclosure and use it as a backup drive.

If your laptop came with Vista new then it will most likely have an SATA drive and not require an adapter. No guarantee your desktop will have SATA, however.

The easiest method would be to get a 2.5" PATA/SATA enclosure and connect via USB. You can then easily buy a new 2.5" drive to go in the enclosure and use it as a backup drive.

If laptop is SATA, then you can put the laptops drive in the 2.5" SATA usb enclosure, plug straight into PC, and access disk to backup data that way, and then return drive to laptop, to save buying extra drive (though an extra drive gives you a usb backup drive for future use too). If laptop is IDE, then just get an IDE usb enclosure.

hope this helps

Sometimes a BSOD can just be a damaged or missing driver file, and this can be fixed quite quickly if you can ID it. It's worth googling the stop code and looking for a file name in the BSOD details too.

If laptop is SATA, then you can put the laptops drive in the 2.5" SATA usb enclosure, plug straight into PC, and access disk to backup data that way, and then return drive to laptop, to save buying extra drive (though an extra drive gives you a usb backup drive for future use too). If laptop is IDE, then just get an IDE usb enclosure.

That's.. exactly what a just said, with a lot more pointless words and recommending single-bus adapters.

That's.. exactly what a just said, with a lot more pointless words and recommending single-bus adapters.[/quote]

Apologies then, I misinterpreted what you wrote, it wasn't meant as a criticism.

Sponsored Links
Back