Windpost necessary ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are building a single storey extension to the rear of our property 6mt x3.75mt and as the bricklayer has just started the SEngineer has asked us to put windposts in the cavity.Both our architect and bricklayer think this is way over the top and totally unnecessary and from my research it seems to be that they have to be made bespoke and fitted fairly early on in the project.The SE is now sitting on the fence when I have challenged him as to the expense and hassle this is going to cause us he is now saying another colleague wouldn't use them We are tearing our hair out ! Any Ideas

Sponsored Links
On a single storey extension of the size you are erecting, wind posts are not required, unless of course you live on top of a mountain.
Wind posts are designed to span vertically BETWEEN FLOORS to provide lateral support for panels of brickwork. Windposts can be installed into either the inner leaf of blockwork or into the cavity leaving the block work undisturbed, however both skins must be tied to windpost.
Regards oldun

Is this due to short brickwork returns at the cormners of the new extension?

Even if the returns are less than those advised in the Approved Document A to the regulations, it is often possible to prove that windposts are not necessary.

A sketch plan would help here.

Sponsored Links
No we are not in an area of high exposure, it is a semi detached Victorian house.The corner returns are 518mm so hopefully we are ok without windposts

I've had to up the inner skin to 140 with bed reinforcement a few times but have never had windposts on a domestic extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back