wing nut fixings into wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have some 19mm external ply and I would like to fix in to the sawn 19mm part of the ply. so basically I would like the threaded rod bit to be sticking out of the edge for me to be able to put wing nut and washer on to.

what would I need to do this job? Thanks Richard

Sponsored Links
"Dowel Screw" is wood screw one end, machine screw the other

J

Arr thank you, yes thats exactly what im after I assume I will have to drill pilot holes first to stop the wood from splitting..

Thanks, Richard

Sponsored Links
How strong does it need to be? Going into the edge of ply is likely to de-laminate it. A cross dowel will be stronger. You'll probably need to threadlock a length of stud in to fit your wing nut

cradle_bolt.jpg

If you explain the purpose you may get a better alternative solution.

If you are to mount an engine on this ? good chance it will fail due to weight.

If you are to mount an engine on this ? good chance it will fail due to weight.

Yes i was also thinking this, only thing i can really do is get quite long wood screw ends 4inch?? or support the dowel either side with some type of plate screwed into the wood either side to keep the strands of wood together, unless anyone can come up with an alternative.

Thanks, Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back