wiper failure on fiat stilo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My left side wiper has failed, other one OK. presumably a linkage failure, but how do I get at it? Presumably ripping off the plastic screen under windscreen? Do I just destroy the three plastic plunger plugs?

Sponsored Links
Those plastic plunger plugs you refer to are removable without breaking them, they are like a hollow expanding rivet, remove the centre first then the expanding bit, they don't cost much even if you do break them.
The linkage has probably become detached for a reason, like a partially seized wiper post, try squirting WD40 on the wiper post.

Wotan

Many thanks, Wotan. How exactly do I remove the centre of the plugs? I'n snapped one off already
Crowner

I used a small screwdriver to prise the centre out, yours may be different, mine is BMW I assumed the same type of fixing for yours.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
Sometimes I find it easier to push the centre on through and find then inside when you take the plastic off.

If your linkage has worn to a point, of not staying on? Someone else on this forum used a wiper arm clip from a Toyota to hold the ball and socket in place.

Once again, thanks Wotan and Mursal
I have seen a number of wiper failures on the Fiat Forum, (mine's a Stilo) due to to dislocated/worn linkage joints, with various solutions. To get done by the agents is said to cost up £160, but there is a firm somewhere in SE England that sells replacement linkage rods for about £30. -

The linkage on my BMW would not stay on, (ball and socket type)
I resorted to drilling 2 B.A clearance through the socket, and tapping the ball 2 B.A then fitted a set bolt of just the right length, fixed in with a touch of threadlock, absolutely no further problems.
Cost...nothing, I'm a model engineer, so I had the necessary tools for the job.

Wotan

Back