Wire 2nd security light to run as slave / outdoor cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an odd-shaped garden and I want to install 2 LED security lights.

Light 1 has a PIR and is the main light. Light 2 does not have a PIR and should be activated by the PIR on light 1.

I have L,N, E and switched live (from the PIR) in light 1, and I believe that if I wired light 1 as per normal, then run a cable from the switched live, N, E to L, N, E on light 2, that it will do as I want.

However, there is no cable with the lights. Do I need special outdoor cable? I don't think the cable hole in light 1 is big enough for 2 cables so I am trying to find an alternative solution - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You need cable suitable for the environment. That depends on whether it is clipped to a wall (and at what height) or buried.

If the light fitting won't take multiple cables, use a junction box.

As a starting point, I was wondering about trying to get a 4-core outdoor cable, the idea being to use LNE to Light 1 as normal and then use the 4th wire to bring the switched live back from light 1. I could then then run NE to light 2 from the same supply as to light 1, and L from the returned switched live. However, it is outside of my knowledge to know what implications there would be in doing this.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

The light will be head height, cable fed back through hole in the wall to FCU inside (so total cable length for light 1 will only be about 15-20cm).

Then whatever I have to run to light 2 will run inside until the point in the wall where I mount light 2 (light 2 already has a outdoor cable so no worries there)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back