Wire testing device perhaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

If anyone can help me with this it'd be great.

I have lots of wires around the house that are the beginnings of a wired burglar alarm setup. They are a pair of wires in each room and at doors etc, bare ends sticking out of the ceilings, and working their way back through the floor/wallspaces to a single exit where there are lots of cables all just bundled up.

Nothing is labelled, so is there a gizmo one can buy that I can connect to either end of the wiring to test which end corresponds with which? I was thinking a 9v battery and a modelling lightbulb but if there is an actual tool for this scenario it might be good to get.

Bearing in mind one end of the wire could be 3 rooms away from the other.....

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Use a digi multimeter set to continuity at one end & twist a pair together at the other?

Sponsored Links
To save you running around the house.

You'd be better off with a battery doorbell
something simple like THIS

Connect it on the end of one cable, then go round your house shorting out the ends until the bell rings.
Mark the cable, then move on to the next one.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I did think of that, but thought that if tat1 needed to buy a battery doorbell , it would be better to get a DMM.

If there are lots of identical cables it can be tedious going through the bundle time and time again to find the one you've shorted out at the other end. Quite useful is a tone set as used by (amongst others) telecoms engineers. Clip it on a cable in one of the rooms, then you can quickly find the other end of that cable in the bundle by sound. As a tip, when you think you have the right one, just short the two wires with the side cutters - if you have the right cable the sound will stop (you're shorting the tone out), but if you have a ghost signal (one inducted into another cable) then the tone will still be around.

A couple fo videos :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP0AtN9hTP4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apIpHPgkevQ

thanks all for the replies, really helpful to get some more knowledgable insight into a problem. saved me a lot of time!

If there are lots of identical cables it can be tedious going through the bundle time and time again to find the one you've shorted out at the other end. Quite useful is a tone set as used by (amongst others) telecoms engineers.
Or an assistant.

screenhunter41apr291426.jpg

It's hard to resistor. I can see her positive points. I'd hitch up to her volts-wagon. etc.

Watt? :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back