Wired 8V doorbell Chime

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not too familiar with how a wired door bell chimer works. But Just opened the cover of mine which was fitted to my new-build about 9 years ago. Below is a pic. From looking at it, what I can see is that the transformer has the mains input and the output seems to be from the 3 screw terminals that seem to be numbered 0 1 2 which have cat5 like cable stuck to it. Question is how is the transformer linked to the top 3 terminals? and what are the top 3 terminals exactly? I noticed that my transformer is rather hot to touch and has a slight swelling to the body in the middle. I'm concerned that this transformer might be on it's way out. Is it normal for these transformers to get hot? Shall I replace the unit?

BB6CRWV.jpg

Sponsored Links
Transformer is linked via the two white wires to the two terminals 0 and 2 .
The blue and orange wire is linked to the (door bell) switch at your front door via two terminals 0 and 1.
Solenoid (Bell) is linked via the two bare wires to the two terminals 1 and 2.

When you close the switch terminal 0 is connected to terminal 1.
And the circuit is made connecting the 8V ac voltage to the Solenoid via terminals 1 and 2.
Solenoid moves a small hammer ringing the two plates making a bell noise.

I have added the 'bell' to the circuit diagram to make it complete:
Bell.JPG

Using CAT wire is not the best as it is too thin for this application - best to use bell wire (as name implies). But as it is working in your case I would not worry about this - ignore this issue. (If it is issue in future you could use two or three wires instead of one to increase size of wire between this bell box and door bell).

No idea if heat an issue for yours, or if failing. From memory, my Bell transformer is always warm. As it has lasted 9 years, I expect it will keep working for longer. If in open ventilated place I would suggest ignore and don't change as might open a can-of-worms if CAT cable not suitable for new device.

SFK

Last edited:
John,
You might want to re-attach the orange wire to terminal 1 as getting a bit lose and a bit close to terminal 0.
I know that it should never move, but just in case it ever gets caught and makes a short or open circuit.
wire.JPG

SFK

I've re-attached that wire @SFK while doing so had a feel of the transformer again and it is rather hot. Not hot that it will burn me but hot. having a feel of that white transformer box how hot is normal? I also noticed a small brown burn patch on the white plastic underneath it.

Sponsored Links
My doorbell works fine but the button is broken so need to replace the unit, can I do this without turning off the power? If no any idea how to turn supply off. Thanks in advance

So which "Category #" is it?

@morqthana
Yes looking at the image again it looks as if they used telephone wire, rather than the CAT wir I said.
To answer you question - CAT wire (or CAT5 or CAT6) is another name for ethernet wire.
Ethernet wire is similar to Telephone wire but different. They both use multiple very thin wires.

Hence I was saying to the OP:- do not use Ethernet (CAT) wire and do not use telephone wire to wire up the door bell. Both of these wires are too thin for a door bell and will suffer from Voltage drop meaning the bell might not sound when door bell pushed.

I suggested they use proper 'bell wire' which is thicker and suitable for use for door bells.

Sfk

Last edited:
@morqthana
Yes looking at the image again it looks as if I was wrong and they used
telephone wire, not CAT wire.
CAT wire (or CAT5 or CAT6) is another name for ethernet wire.
Ethernet wire is similar to Telephone wire but different. They both use multiple very thin wires.

Hence I was saying to the OP:- do not use Ethernet (CAT) wire and do not use telephone wire to wire up the door bell. Both of these wires are too thin for a door bell and will suffer from Voltage drop meaning the bell might not sound when door bell pushed.

I suggested they use proper 'bell wire' which is thicker and suitable for use for door bells.

Sfk
BUT that IS cat wire.
So which "Category #" is it?
From this distance... dunno.
It's not 1, 2 or 6. Doesn't look like 5 (but could be) so leaves 3 or 4

@SUNRAY etc

The CAT5 issue is from 2018 so no need to worry yourself.
Unfortunately someone has hijacked the 2018 thread. This is why hijacking is BAD !

And all I was trying to say was - use 'Bell Wire', not thin CAT or Telephone wire, when wireing a doorbell. :)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back