Wireless Alarm - Texecom or Scantronic, or Other?

Just make sure that a single peripheral is not acting as a main conduit, ...
What do you mean please?
Think of a mesh system with a controller in the middle - a very basic overview. In this scenario the controller would communicate direct to each peripheral device. These devices would then only be 'awake' as required.

However, you may have an area with devices that is some way away from the controller, thereby giving a weakened signal path if each device were to communicate direct to the controller.
With Ricochet a device nearer to the remote area but with good comms to the controller can/will act as the comms path between remote area and controller. Because of this it will be working much harder than if it was just doing it's 'own thing'.

Doesn't that boil down to the layout of the premises?

Sponsored Links
Doesn't that boil down to the layout of the premises?
Yes but just layout is not the only consideration when evaluating radio signal propagation. Cables or other metal in walls can affect the spread of power transmitted by a transmitter. A piece of stray metal that is electrically resonant at the transmitter's freqency may, depending on its distance in wavelengths from the transmitter act as a reflector casting a radio shadow behind it or as a director concentrating some of the transmitter's energy into a beam. Similar affects apply to the receiver's aerial. ( look at a TV aerial where "odd" bits of metal around the actual aerial act as reflectors and directors to give the aerial a very narrow cone of "vision" to try and exclude or significantly reduce all signals that have not come directly from the one transmitter to aerial is to receive from.

Thanks.

In summary (I have emailed this to the installer to see what he says, and make sure he does it):

Conduct a survey of the wireless airwaves, need to use an off air recording spectrum analsyser or similar equipment to log how often there are transmissions on the channels available for the type of equipment being installed. This would be for at least a week and preferably longer.

Ensure that a single peripheral is not acting as a main conduit.

Think of a mesh system with a controller in the middle - a very basic overview. In this scenario the controller would communicate direct to each peripheral device. These devices would then only be 'awake' as required.

However, you may have an area with devices that is some way away from the controller, thereby giving a weakened signal path if each device were to communicate direct to the controller.
With Ricochet a device nearer to the remote area but with good comms to the controller can/will act as the comms path between remote area and controller. Because of this it will be working much harder than if it was just doing it's 'own thing'.

Just layout is not the only consideration when evaluating radio signal propagation. Cables or other metal in walls can affect the spread of power transmitted by a transmitter. A piece of stray metal that is electrically resonant at the transmitter's freqency may, depending on its distance in wavelengths from the transmitter act as a reflector casting a radio shadow behind it or as a director concentrating some of the transmitter's energy into a beam. Similar affects apply to the receiver's aerial. ( look at a TV aerial where "odd" bits of metal around the actual aerial act as reflectors and directors to give the aerial a very narrow cone of "vision" to try and exclude or significantly reduce all signals that have not come directly from the one transmitter to aerial is to receive from.

Don't get too carried away, you'll appear like a customer nightmare and he may walk away.
What type of house do you have? I'm assuming standard semi or detached?
If so, it is unlikely you will have major problems with ricochet.

The points highlighted to you are concerns that can crop up and that you should consider/be aware of. It doesn't mean they will occur.

Sponsored Links
I am not being funny but if I was told what to do like that I would tell you to get lost. There are ways of wording things. If a customer told me how to install a motherboard I would just sent an email back telling them to do it themselves if you know so much about it.

I have placed my order with the installer, just sent the email confirming.
Reading all of this again I've decided that if I was your installer I'd walk away. You obviously won't be happy, suggest you do it yourself then you can moan at yourself instead of the Pro. who does it for a living.

I know of professional companies who have walked off site never to be seen again when confronted by a know-it-all, (who doesn't by the way), as as arrogant as you.

Europlex";p="2366061 said:
I know of professional companies who have walked off site never to be seen again when confronted by a know-it-all, (who doesn't by the way), as as arrogant as you.

Seems to be a few here answering to that description of "know it alls".
I note the so called "Pros" are absent from these discussions also.

Thanks.

In summary (I have emailed this to the installer to see what he says, and make sure he does it):

Conduct a survey of the wireless airwaves, need to use an off air recording spectrum analsyser or similar equipment to log how often there are transmissions on the channels available for the type of equipment being installed. This would be for at least a week and preferably longer.

Ensure that a single peripheral is not acting as a main conduit.

Just layout is not the only consideration when evaluating radio signal propagation. Cables or other metal in walls can affect the spread of power transmitted by a transmitter. A piece of stray metal that is electrically resonant at the transmitter's freqency may, depending on its distance in wavelengths from the transmitter act as a reflector casting a radio shadow behind it or as a director concentrating some of the transmitter's energy into a beam. Similar affects apply to the receiver's aerial. ( look at a TV aerial where "odd" bits of metal around the actual aerial act as reflectors and directors to give the aerial a very narrow cone of "vision" to try and exclude or significantly reduce all signals that have not come directly from the one transmitter to aerial is to receive from.

Blimey, its one thing to find an installer that actually bothers to use the surveying tools (I'm a Scantronic installer and DO use the correct instrument) but if I was confronted by a clearly cut'n'pasted request for a week long, logging survey as part of a free quote, I'd be quietly walking away!

I wonder what happened to this, it's a shame we'll never be told.

I too wonder if any installer did take on the task. My comments and concerns about radio propogation are things one may need to discuss with the installer in order to have confidence in the installer's ability and knowledge. But put the way they were in that e-mail was not tactful and not the way to start a contract.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back